Building Own Smoker & Have Questions

carbonpm1

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
For Christmas I got everything that I need to build my own custom smoker trailer. I am going to use an 80 Gal. air compressor tank for the smoker part. Primarily I smoke pulled pork and ribs, but I also want to do a small hog and brisket. I am kind of up in the air about design. I am leaning towards the reverse flow design but my question is, can you build a fire in the grill part at all? I like to sere my ribs before smoking them, can that be done on this design. Also how hot do these grills get on average? I am trying to decide if I need to attach another offset grill or just a grill onto the small trailer for sereing the meat and also just grilling or if I need to smoke something at 350-450 degrees. Thank you for any help or insight you guys can give me.

You can get a reverse flow hot enough to sear your meat.
Just get a hotter fire going on the box.
As to building the fire on the plate, I'd think not.
In a reverse flow there's really not enough room to build a fire between the plate and the cooking grate, well maybe remove the bottom grate and just use the top, if you're adding a top grate. But still I wouldn't do it in mine.

Good luck

Add a separate grill. Smoker cook temps are dependent on size of fire, draft, and amount of make up air. I have never needed to go beyond 375. If your smoking you should never sere your meat it is self defeating

Some designs have a hinged lid on the top of the firebox for searing or grilling.

I would definitely add a seperate grill since your building a trailer should have plenty of room to add a seperate grill.. sure you can get your RF that hot.. but i don't think you would want too. 400+ and your liable to have a big ass grease fire going.. from the seasoning.

I was thinking about just putting a second grill on the trailer too. My dad has a grill/smoker made out of 1/4" steel pipe that I am going to try and get him to give me so I can weld that on the opposite side of the trailer.

Back