Just some ribs on the egg...

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Haven't posted any cooks here for some time. No good reason - just lazy.

Nothing too fancy. Niece and nephew are in town and they love bbq, ribs are their favorite.

Spares from Costco. Rubbed and egged at 325ish, with a few chunks of mesquite. They were done a lot quicker than I expected - less than 2 hrs. FTC until dinnertime. Egg was still hot, so I sauced 1 rack with Blues Hog and another with Cattlemen's tangy gold sauce (given to me by a colleague). Saved 2 racks for later. The crowd loved em. I liked the Cattlemen's sauce. I usually think BH is too sweet by itself, and will cut it with BH Red, but today it was actually okay. Salad and mac n cheese for sides, but sorry - too hungry for pics :biggrin1:

IMAG2473_zps11b2caed.jpg

IMAG2472_zps5b81b82c.jpg

IMAG2474_zps9fd4aa6e.jpg

IMAG2476_zps3fa0d895.jpg

IMAG2480_zps8bc3d7c7.jpg

IMAG2483_zps9c2182d3.jpg

question for you. when cooking spare ribs in the egg is it best to use a rib rack?

Not at all. I had a full house and many mouths to feed, so I wanted to make all 4 racks at once. I can fit 4 racks by using 2 levels as well, but then I wonder whether the bottom racks cook quicker. With the rib stand/rack they all cook about the same time. Next time, I will try and cook 6 or 7 racks at once - by laying 2 or 3 racks on top of the curved part of the stand.

I have the large BGE with two level grill from ceramic works (which I love). I actually think the top rack cooks a little hotter than the bottom, but either way, the problem is easily remedied if you rotate your meat from top to bottom once or twice during the cook.
randy....bge, but looking for a competition rig

looks great. what's the deal with your top vent? i haven't seen one like that.

Back