Single ribs????

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
A guy on another forum (yes I do more than one) brought up a technique for cooking ribs I really hadn't thought about before.
He cooks his ribs as singles!! He pulls membrane, slices ribs into singles, puts in low smoke (no rub, etc.) when it hits a spot he likes he rubs them and puts them in a covered alum pan till tender then pulls and sauces. Says they are every bit as tender and juicy as full racks yet has more flavor due to extra surfaces.
Now my question, everybody gets to cook as they see fit, this is after all Merica. But how would you as judges react to opening a contest box full of single ribs with rub and sauce all over them? I know, I know judge what's in the box but who remembers their first look at Christmas ornament chicken, or square chicken that spit juice all down your chin? I always feel bad for the cooks ascared to try something new. I'm not afraid to judge something new..
Ed

It like you said - judge what's in the box. As long as the rib is pork and has a bone in it, it's good. I'm not sure that "more flavor" is always a good thing. It needs to be a balanced taste between all the elements, including being able to taste the meat. It's like the rash of posts lately from people who are smoking stuff for 11 hours. One guy couldn't understand why the meat was bitter.
If more bark equals more flavor, then why don't people just thinly shave all the bark off a pork butt and turn it in?

As a judge I could care less what a team has to do, or how they do it, to put a box of meat in front of me. The only thing I care about is the quality of the product. Quite often cut edges will be sauced anyway so it really isn't any different than what we are already getting. Cooking for supper at home it's an interesting idea I may have to try.

I'm guessing he keeps the ribs in their original consecutive order when smoking and when going into the pan? I just wonder how well they would present for appearance, considering uniformity and all? Would the cut edges stay straight enough so a little sauce could hide irregularities, would the pull-back be similar, would the length change? Sounds like an experiment is in the works.

I'd have a hard time believing they were as moist. Basically makes every bone an end bone but worse, it's that way on both sides. Anyone ever but an end bone in the box? If so, how did it score. I'm guessing that's how good they'd work in a turn in box. But maybe I'm wrong. I'll let someone else prove it.

Back