New Smokers for Border War Smokers

crd26a

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
After the Roayl this year, I'd decided I'd needed to update my smoker and that we need a second reliable smoker other than the Good One Rodeo we were cooking on. In speaking with Caveman, I'd thought I had decided to build a gravity clone. But time got away from me with work and in talking with RobKC, we both decided we were thinking of getting gravity feeds. We looked at Stumps, DW Kountry Cookers and Superior, and both decided on getting a couple of the Superior SS-2's.

Well over the weekend, the wife and I drove down to Macon, GA (yes, basically from KC) and picked up the new smokers. We arrived at the production facility for Superior about 7:45 AM yesterday and got them loaded up. Rob's is the blue one (Little Jay) and mine is the black one (Little Norm). The best part on Rob's is hands down the black paint around the firebox.

Smoker004.jpg

Smoker005.jpg

Smoker006.jpg

Smoker007.jpg

Rob with Little Jay

Smoker008.jpg

Little Norm after shoveling my way to the back this morning (thanks snowplow for the 2ft of ice that greeted me at my drive)
Smoker009.jpg

Also, while I was at the shop, the owner Jeff was kind enough to show my wife and I around, including seeing some built SS-1's and 2's and a cool stainless steel SS-2
Smoker001.jpg

Smoker002.jpg

Smoker003.jpg

Currently, Little Norm is puffing away with 3 slabs, a pork shoulder, and a handful of rib trimmings just for me. Going to be a good evening.

Very cool, I love my GF. I actually ordered a baby stump during the special last month. Hope it performs like the 223.

Did you order the Superior through Joby?

Nice looking cookers. Excuse my ignorance, because I am a backyard stick burner guy... Do you use briquettes or lump in the gravity feed chute? Do you use wood chunks or splits in it and are they gravity fed as well? Basically, how does it work?

When they are smoking, we'll know it's for different reasons:
- the black one will be from working hard
- the blue one's smoke will likely have a distinctive odor

Remember Mizzou kicks off at 2:30 on New Year's Eve afternoon.

I think you hit the nail on the head Bobby!

Nice looking cookers. Excuse my ignorance, because I am a backyard stick burner guy... Do you use briquettes or lump in the gravity feed chute? Do you use wood chunks or splits in it and are they gravity fed as well? Basically, how does it work?
Jeff,

Remember Big Blue at Loveland this year? Same concept.

Michael

nice looking cookers! I had a stumps and really liked it...is Joby still with Superior?

I think you hit the nail on the head Bobby!

Very funny. "Little Norm" had better help get us some calls. I'd hate to have to change the name to "Little Quinn".

Not much room for me to comment on bowl games this season. The Texas Bowl is certainly better than no bowl at all, but how did Mizzourah get snubbed for Iowa State? That's my bowl game this year....GO CLONES!!!

Back