• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A thanks you for this database of Q! Round 1 was a success, Things I learned here

Z

zontagg21

Gents,

Wanted to say thanks for the complication of everything on this site. I did pork on a small scale a few times, found this site and then went a little wild.

College student living in the city, and I happened to find a 275 gallon oil tank in my rental house. Owner wanted to scrap it, so I took it off his hands...

The results attached...

Cooked carolina style direct heat for my fraternity brothers all from north of the mason dixon line (I'm NC). Pretty fun introducing people to new food and getting rave review. (Vinegar and apple juice sauce). The attached picture is only a small sampling of the 80lbs of pork butt and beef tip that I made up.

A few things I learned.

Where there's a will there's a way - the individuals on this site can figure out a way to bbq in all sorts of configurations that I never thought of on my own. I thought of cutting up the oil tank, while googling how to get rid of one. I was worried about the response to my pit being cinderblocks, expanded steel, and half an oil tank for the top but no one cared (if anything they were impressed) people just want good q.

Cinderblocks work just fine for a pit - not sexy, but who cares.

Bear claws are awesome - Pulling was laughably easy compared to previous attempts.

Cooking pork for 100+ people and making sure no one gets sick is stressful -
Sanitation supplies and a great thermometer are necessary, don't cut corners

Expanded steel grates can be an little adventure to find but make a fantastic grate (luckily I work next to a scrap yard)

Perception of baked beans when placed in cast iron on a smoker is very different than when mom makes em on the stove top (We went through 8 large cans of bushes in about 15 minutes)

Don't pull all the pork right away - it dries out over a 2-3 hour eating event and people love seeing their meat "carved" (if you will) in front of them.

-----
The things next on my list to learn:
Chickens on the smoker, I haven't quite figured out how I want to this, will be reading through the site, but any suggestions are welcome (leaning towards beer can).

Central carolina style sauce with other fruit juices besides apple - I've had a pineapple one before that was incredible, as well as a chipotle peach. Still working out the execution in my head.
-----

Thanks again for this complication gents, incredible stuff.

Attachments

• IMAG0382.jpg
    IMAG0382.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 113
Cool pit! Welcome! Just a tip, get a photobucket (Or other provider) account to upload your pics and then copy paste from there into your threads. You'll save on your limited on-site storage and can use that for your albums instead.

I'm not going to make fun of your pit. I would actually like to see some more photos. Great job. :thumb:

For chicken, search for spatchcock. Brine, spatchcock, cook at 300* for ~90 minutes until it bleeds clear with poked with a knife. Easy!

I like Picasa for photos. Use the software and the website for hosting. Easy.

I love seeing pits like that - show that there's a farker who wants to cook! BBQ comes from very humble roots, and I think it's cool get back to them sometimes.

Glad yer cook went well and yes, people love to see butts getting pulled right in front of them. It's also a great way to keep the meat in good shape up till serving time.

K's got ya covered on the chix - I'd do just as he suggests. Have fun!

Awesome cook and welcome to the community! That rocks, bro! I want to see and hear more!

I used to do beer can chicken but I have to place my vote for spatchcocked birds. I have had great success with this. I don't brine because I don't need the extra sodium but I still get wonderfully moist chicken.

Absolutely nothing wrong with using what you have to get the job done. Looks great, keep at it.

Back