Hey Eggheads!

AlabamaGrillBillies

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I got the opportunity to cook on a buddy's XL, needless to say I was beyond impressed. On less than 10lbs of lump it ran at 220 for 15hrs, ramped it up to 270 for another few hours to finish off some burnt ends and cook some boneless skin less chicken breast.

I knew of the Egg's ability to hold temp (although the 15hrs was longer than I expected) but what really blew me away was the moisture that those breast retained. Seriously some of the juiciest chicken I've ever had.

Anyhow was curious how you guys go about cooking quantity? I have my offset for when I really want to cook a lot, but would like to be able to cook more than just one full packer. Got any pics you would like to share of your XL loaded with food. I saw the tier'd system on the Egg site, but would like to see some real 'que loaded on there.

Well, I just have a large egg. Here is a 16+ pound brisket on an inverted rib rack. Leaves enough room underneath to cook MOINKs, ABT's or whatever.
Juston.jpg

Brisketonegg.jpg

I'm just lovin' that Egg.....

4 butts and a 13 pound brisket on a large

100_4254.jpg

100_4255.jpg

100_4256.jpg

100_4257.jpg

100_4258.jpg

100_4259.jpg

6 chickens on a large

100_4290.jpg

I fire up the WSMs or the offset trailer if I need to cook a lot.

Wow, that's some loaded eggs. I too have a large and love it. I can run it ~220 for 18+ hours and never add fuel. The dome of the X-large isn't has tall (from grate to interior lid) and I've heard guys having trouble with clearance when doing multiple levels. More surface area but less height.

Either the x-large or the large, you won't regret it. Good luck!

Wow, that's some loaded eggs. I too have a large and love it. I can run it ~220 for 18+ hours and never add fuel. The dome of the X-large isn't has tall (from grate to interior lid) and I've heard guys having trouble with clearance when doing multiple levels. More surface area but less height.

Either the x-large or the large, you won't regret it. Good luck!

I went 28 hours @ 250 dome temp and had PLENTY of lump left to go another 8 hours. :-D

I haven't loaded up my XL really to capacity yet but here's some shots of it with BGE's extra tier. I would recommend the Adjustable Rig from the Ceramic Grill Store-brethren tjv over this one as the Rig offers many more options.

Picnic shoulder over spares
IMG_6300.jpg

Brisket over spares
IMG_6621.jpg

Cooks with 2 packer briskets
IMG_8795.jpg

IMG_8065.jpg

I've never really loaded mine up like this. My last rib cook I had five racks and noticed they seemed to take longer than my previous cooks of 2 and 3. Do you notice everything takes a little longer when you really load it up (maybe something to do with air circulation being diminished). Or was that just me?

Did two 8lb boston butts and a 16lb full brisket on my Lg Egg thsi weekend...Had a tiny bit of room on the side of the spider

Also...loaded my egg with lump and made a 27ish hour burn @ around 225....

Last edited:
For me, my egg is my quality/ease of use cooker, and I use my 22.5" WSM when i need to cook large quantities. I like the mix of my LG BGE & my WSM for about the same price as an XL BGE would have cost me (especially when considering the cost of "eggcessories").

As noted by others, the BGE is incredibly efficient and can burn seemingly forever on a load of lump.

I've never really loaded mine up like this. My last rib cook I had five racks and noticed they seemed to take longer than my previous cooks of 2 and 3. Do you notice everything takes a little longer when you really load it up (maybe something to do with air circulation being diminished). Or was that just me?

I do notice cooks taking a little longer in my XL Egg with more meat. However, the difference for me has been maybe an extra hour for 2 packers over just 1 packer.

I would think an Egg really loaded up like Hoss did would take considerably longer (he did say 28 hours).

I do notice cooks taking a little longer in my XL Egg with more meat. However, the difference for me has been maybe an extra hour for 2 packers over just 1 packer.

I would think an Egg really loaded up like Hoss did would take considerably longer (he did say 28 hours).

Yessir.I went 28 hours with that brisket and 4 butts.All were not ready at the same time.It was a 13 pound packer.It finished last.The butt on top of the other 3 finished first(higher in the dome).Then the butts then the brisket.Could have EASILY gone 8 more hours on the load of lump.Cooked 250 dome(had to set vents like a 350 cook).The lump was filled to the top of the Fire Box and the Fire Ring was removed for more space.Lighted with a weedburner.I started with a COMPLETELY cleaned out egg.No ash anywhere and fresh lump.

Back