The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

I just stumbled across a mak 2 star on craigslist near me for $1800, 2 years old...Im thinking its a really good deal, thoughts? What should I be looking for on a used Mak?

Thanks in advance

Post a link so we can see what your seeing? What all does it include? What kind of condition is it in? Gotta see to be able to give an opinion :)

I just stumbled across a mak 2 star on craigslist near me for $1800, 2 years old...Im thinking its a really good deal, thoughts? What should I be looking for on a used Mak?

Thanks in advance
Offer $1500 and see what they say.

So just an update I am now part of the MAK family! I never thought that a day after I posted this thread I would have a mak 2 star general at my house! So I ended up purchasing the used mak for $1600 which I think is a steal. It is in great condition besides needing a good cleaning on the stainless steel, it came with top grill grates, a cabinet door, super smoker box which Im pumped about and some other sear racks and a cover. Pretty sure this purchase was meant to be and Im glad I found it when I did, I will post some pictures once I do a deep clean on it! Also the serial number checked out and I spoke to someone at MAK and there had been no problems reported with this specific smoker so I am happy about that as well, the employees they have seem top notch!

Also shout out to Rwalters for giving me some good advice through the quick process, this is a great forum and place for information where everyone is willing to help out! Cant wait to get smokin!

So just an update I am now part of the MAK family! I never thought that a day after I posted this thread I would have a mak 2 star general at my house! So I ended up purchasing the used mak for $1600 which I think is a steal. It is in great condition besides needing a good cleaning on the stainless steel, it came with top grill grates, a cabinet door, super smoker box which Im pumped about and some other sear racks and a cover. Pretty sure this purchase was meant to be and Im glad I found it when I did, I will post some pictures once I do a deep clean on it! Also the serial number checked out and I spoke to someone at MAK and there had been no problems reported with this specific smoker so I am happy about that as well, the employees they have seem top notch!

Also shout out to Rwalters for giving me some good advice through the quick process, this is a great forum and place for information where everyone is willing to help out! Cant wait to get smokin!
With all those accessories that is a steal, heck of a deal! Congrats :clap2:

Nice score! I'm jealous of the super smoker box.

Would be shocked if there ain’t already a warrant out for your arrest. Pretty sure you’re sitting with felony grand theft charges on this one buddy! [emoji33]

That said, CONGRATS again and welcome to the MAK family. You’ll just have to learn to ignore pjtexas. There’s always one in the fam... lol.

FARK ME!!! With the smoker box no less! Never in a Million years will I see a deal anywhere near that by me.

NICE SCORE!:clap2:

Congrats, whats a smoker box ? cant lust after something if ya don't know what it is lol

for cold smoking
iF1H6rbh.jpg

Congrats Ryan that is a killer deal!

Would be shocked if there ain’t already a warrant out for your arrest. Pretty sure you’re sitting with felony grand theft charges on this one buddy! [emoji33]

That said, CONGRATS again and welcome to the MAK family. You’ll just have to learn to ignore pjtexas. There’s always one in the fam... lol.
Hey! I've been thinking about behaving. Does that count? Welcome to the family Ryan! You'll probably be another black sheep of the family like me. They're jealous of the deal you got so ignore the haters.

They're envious of my good looks. Especially that rwalters guy. That's why they treat me so badly. :pound: [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

what WHAAAAAT!?!

Less than half of new?

What a BARGAIN!!!

I've called Yoder, Blaz'n', MAK and Smokin Brothers within the last week. Will take a closer look at pitts and spitts too. Will say of the 4 I called so far it's Yoder and MAK. I really wanted to love a Blaz, but there C.S. isn't great from what I have found so far. I get it's hard with everything going on currently but when you finally get to talk to a person and give them your info they should get back.....and they didn't, I had to call numerous times and then was told I'd get a quote emailed.....didn't happen. Emailed Monday and nothing.

That’s too bad, because Tim from BGW has always been really responsive with me. Like you said, the whole C-19 stuff could be playing into it, but I also haven’t had a need to reach out for anything with my Blaz’n Grand Slam in years. I don’t think you can go wrong with Yoder or MAK. I’ve been really happy with my Blaz’n GS, but definitely have to supplement smoke with a pellet tube smoker to get the flavor I want. It just burns super efficient and clean. It’s a workhorse in cold temps (although I don’t deal with that much since moving from Midwest to N.C.).

Okay, how in the world did this thread get bumped down past page 3?

For RWalters and anybody else who is interested, I have my report on Cookin Pellets 100% hickory.

It is easy to say that it is easily my favorite pellet. The smell is incredible. It smells like I am burning hickory splits. It produces plenty (blue) smoke. Not much ash. I did a 9lb pork butt overnight for Sunday dinner. Flavor was very good. Probably the best one I have made. Still delicious as leftovers. And I am sort of getting tired of BBQ leftovers. The pellet size is uniform and small. No long pieces like Lumberjack so I am comfortable leaving the pit alone for overnight cooks. The only downside is the cost. $40/ 40lb bag from Amazon is steep. Supposedly they have a local distributor in Houston. I will call them. I do have another 40lb bag on order and supposedly it will arrive early May. I might consider buying bulk direct from

The CP is definitely by favorite so far. But the B&B mesquite really isn’t too far behind. But if I had a decent deal price wise I could use the CP hickory for every future cook and be a happy guy

I have only been in the pellet game for about 3 weeks or so, but I am already addicted to pellets. I love all the choices and cannot wait to try new flavors/brands. I have a local butcher who stocks Lumberjack pellets. His inventory has been very inconsistent due to virus shopping patterns. Pellet supplies isn't to the level of toilet paper but they seem to go fast around here. Here is a list of what I have used (in order) and my thoughts

1. Lumberjack Pecan Blend. Did my burn in with these pellets and two rib cooks. Pleasant smell but not the normal Pecan smoke smell I am used to. But the flavor was really good. Didn't notice much ash. I would be happy to use this again

2. B & B post oak. Mainly used this for my first brisket cook. As with the LJ pecan, the smell was not reminiscent of Post oak I have used in chunks and splits. The smell reminded me of burning wood that is too dried out (if that makes sense). Flavor was really light, almost non-existent. But that was also a factor of me running the cooker at 275 the whole way. I would have gotten more smoke had I run at a lower temperature. But so far, this is my least favorite pellet. BUT, the size of the pellets is uniform and small so I would have confidence using this on overnight cooks.

3. Lumberjack 100% pecan. As far as smell of smoke and flavor goes, this is my favorite pellet yet. But the bag had a majority of very long pellets. Many around 2" and some even longer. They balled up on the safety grid blocking the rest of the pellets from going into the auger and caused a flame out on an overnight cook. I will continue to use these pellets as they are really good flavor wise but will be mindful of the extra long ones and inspect and break the longer ones apart. Also the safety grid has been removed. I did not notice long pieces in the LJ blend. Perhaps this is an issue with their 100% varieties. I have read similar experiences on FB.

4. B & B Mesquite. I am not a big mesquite guy. I like it, don't love it. My preferred types of wood are post oak and pecan. But pellets were hard to come by and my HEB only had B & B mesquite so I bought a bag. I had low expectations. But I have to say, this one is a winner. Very good smoke flavor, not overpowering like mesquite can often be. Great balance. Consistent pellet size so I would be comfortable using this on overnight cooks. When I buy B & B pellets in the future, I will buy this one before I buy another bag of post oak. It is a winner. I really want to cook my next brisket using this pellet. I am doing pork ribs this saturday using the remainder of these in my hopper.

in the pellet que, I have a 40lb bag of cookinpellets 100% hickory, a 20lb bag of Lumberjack hickory blend and I still have 1 remaining bag of B & B post oak. The CP hickory is next up. I am doing an overnight pork butt for Easter Sunday and will use these pellets.

Pellets I want to buy next: Lumberjack competition blend. Hickory, maple and apple sounds like a nice mix. I also would like to try B & B pecan.

Pellets are fun.

Awesome to hear!! Glad ya like them and I agree, they are a fantastic pellet :)

Back