Why Turkey is Overrated

medic92

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
No matter how careful I am with prep, storage, cooking, resting, handling, avoiding cross-contamination, disinfecting, instructions to customers, I sit around just waiting to hear someone claim they got sick from one of my turkeys. Did I do everything right? Did I follow all the steps for proper handling of poultry? Is there something I missed?

We sold 34 turkeys for Thanksgiving, and I won't be able to relax until Saturday when I know nobody got sick, no matter how stringently I followed food safety guidelines.

I hate poultry.

That's no way to spend the holiday! You have insurance, right? I'm sure it was all perfect though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dont stress about that! You kept things the way they should be, so it's all good!

I don't do that many. However, for the all the people I cook for... I remind them that I prep, cook, and deliver under very tight standards away from all other food.

Even then... I still "worry". So, it's natural. This year I taught my 12-year-old all about food safety and to treat poultry like kryptonite.

Education and best practice. You shouldn't need to worry. But, you have a GREAT thing to think about.

No need to worry. If someone calls, be sympathetic...but slip in the fact that you sold 34 turkeys and they are the only ones who have had a complaint.

In reality, the health department will not hold you accountable unless multiple turkeys you sold made people sick. As you said, you sold 34. If one person complains, then it's likely something else they ate besides your turkey. Your other 33 birds show that your standards were properly upheld.

There is always that one person who doesn't wash their hands before they eat. Before admitting to bad hygiene they'll blame an illness on your turkey.

Last edited:
I only do a few. I'm calling customers now see if everything was ok. I worry too.

Back