i really need all this to vend at farmers market

1130home

I got all info from HD.Sinks...certified kitchen...what do I really need Our market has not yet started but am trying to get ducks in a row. what can I cook on and where.the others at the market do not have sinks and suchthanks

I would go back to the HD and ask for clarification and get it in writting... They are the ones that could shut you down quickly...

Regs vary from County to County but I need all of that and more here in Cali. You have to jump through the hoops to get in but once you are in, they rarely re-check you. Doesn't mean you don't have to be prepared though.

When I asked about working a spot at one farmers market they told me there wasn't room for catering food as it would take away from the trade inside the mall. Then I was advised that the person there is currently selling grilled sausages was doing it along with selling packaged meet from their farm. I asked if I could sell nuts and bolts along with BBQ and they said yes.

You have to get everything in writing and ask the right questions sometimes.

that much is true. this is where I am starting. any threads that help. I checked the getting started thread. if your trailer is fully equiped, can you use it as your "kitchen"? I have a triple sink from an old Hot Sam's Pretzel shop and two 5 foot ss prep tables among other commercial kitchen equip. Point the right direction.

Big is right you need to have everything thay want. HD givith and HD WILL take away. also watch for the county tax man... he might stop by to...

1.) What kind of food are you going to vend?
2.) If it's BBQ what will you be cooking it in and will it pass a HD inspection?
3.) How are you going to keep your cold items cold and hot items hot? (i.e. proper HD temps)
4.) Where will the prep work for the food take place? On site or somewhere else?
5.) Has your trailer passed a HD inspection?
6.) Where will you purchase the food to cook and how will it be stored till it is prepped?
(In Ohio you can't store it in your home in ANY fashion, freezer, fridge or otherwise.
Not even just overnight. It has to be trasnported directly from the point of sale
to the site of cooking in HD approved transport equipment)

Just a FEW of the questions the HD will have for you.

My advice is to go to the HD and sit down with someone and tell them what you want to do
and ask them what the requirements will be for your area.

Last edited:
It's a pain in the butt but once you get everything in line and have a good relationship with your contact at HD it's smooth sailing. I'm Neil's official hoop jumper. After going to the HD office a few times now all I have to do is mail in my app with a certified check or money order and wait for my slip. If I mail late I give her a call and ask her to fax me a copy before she mails and the markets accept it.

Right now we're dealing with weights and measures because we want to sell by the pound. Not only do you have to have the proper scale (which rounds at least $250) you have to have a sticker on it from W&M.

Ah, the joys of having your own business!!!!

Like everyone says, go talk to the HD, they are really there to help and you will be surprised at how helpful most of them are. That is where I would start, set aside some time and make an appointment with an Inspector and pick his/her brain.

Back