When do most contests publish payouts?

Alexa RnQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
When do most contests you go to publish their payout schedule?

Some of the ones we go to have payouts specified right on the entry form, how many places paid and what the exact amounts are.

Other comps we've gone to say there's a total "prize fund", but that's the total of payouts plus awards expenses.

If you see a prize fund amount published on KCBS's website, do you automatically assume that's the total of payouts?

Would you sign up for a comp and send in your money before actual payouts were specified?

We haven't competed much outside our little area, so I'm curious as to how it's done across the country.

My area is about 50/50. I prefer to know all payouts in advance. Just so i can play with the numbers.:rolleyes:

KCBS sanctioning requires all organizers to provide a guaranteed prize letter stating the amount of the cash prize and payouts through a minimum of 5 places. This must be provided to KCBS at least 90 days prior to the contest.

The sanctioning also states the organizer must pay the higher amount of what is advertised or the letter.

We do not include give aways, prizes, cookers or other items to be included. The organizer is to provide the amount of cash to be paid to KCBS and the contestants. The amount posted on the KCBS is to be the amount of cash to be paid.

Merl

The amount posted on the KCBS is to be the amount of cash to be paid.

This is the part that seems to be engendering some confusion. I've seen breakdowns that include trophy costs and the (inflated) value of spaces at future contests.

This is the part that seems to be engendering some confusion. I've seen breakdowns that include trophy costs and the (inflated) value of spaces at future contests.
Report them to the KCBS office and they will correct in the Bullsheet and the web site. They will also talk with the organizers and make sure the organizers know the rules for next year.

KCBS sanctioning requires all organizers to provide a guaranteed prize letter stating the amount of the cash prize and payouts through a minimum of 5 places. This must be provided to KCBS at least 90 days prior to the contest.

The sanctioning also states the organizer must pay the higher amount of what is advertised or the letter.

We do not include give aways, prizes, cookers or other items to be included. The organizer is to provide the amount of cash to be paid to KCBS and the contestants. The amount posted on the KCBS is to be the amount of cash to be paid.

Merl

Does KCBS provide general guidance on what the payouts should be? I have seen two contests that advertise $12,000 in payout, but one GC recieves $4000 and the other GC wins $2,000. Some payout to 5th, others 10th, etc. Then there are those tht advertise big money, but have 8 ancillary contests that payout the same as the "Big 4".

KCBS requires that all contests pay to 5 places for the four meat groups as well as a grand and reserve grand champion.

KCBS does not have a minimum amount of pay.

KCBS does require the contest to pay the larger of the guaranteed prize letter sent to KCBS or the advertised amount.

This amount does not include trophies, prizes, give aways or anything other than the cash to be awarded. Those items can valued at Retail list, selling price or wholesale. KCBS wants to be certain that the promised cash prize is awarded. The amount on the KCBS website should only include cash that has been advertised or on the guaranteed prize letter.

Merl

Report them to the KCBS office and they will correct in the Bullsheet and the web site. They will also talk with the organizers and make sure the organizers know the rules for next year.

KCBS has pulled sanctioning and refused to participate in a contest which we knew was reducing its prize money. In each case the organizer chose to pay the advertised amount or the amount listed in the guaranteed prize letter filed with KCBS, to keep KCBS sanctioning.

Merl

It should also be noted that some events will be paying more than what is listed on the KCBS site, as they are paying out what comes in via entry fees.

As an example, for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren I believe that we listed the amount as $5000.00 but paid out over $11,000.00.

I assume (but am not sure) that the amount listed on the KCBS site is intended as a minimum amount. Surely no one will be upset that they get MORE money (and if you are upset by that, feel free to send it to me).

Eric

Back