First Time Smokin' a Chubby

BruceB

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've always wanted to try smoking bologna and the other day I was at Restaurant Depot and saw this 10lb chub of all beef bologna on the shelf and I couldn't resist.

Cut it in half and then cut one-half into two 2 1/2lb chubs, criss-cross cut the chubs and then slathered both in mustard and rubbed with Plowboys Bovine Bold Rub.

Royal Oak lump in the WSM with a couple of pecan chunks. Taking it up to 150º or so. Here's some early pics.

Bologna1.jpg

Bologna2-1.jpg

More to follow:

Those chubs are looking real good. I'm guessing baloney sammies???

Baloney sammies with caramelized onions, some Big Bob Gibson Mustard Sauce on some Texas Toast, haven't quite convinced myself to put cheese on 'em yet.

Smoke that chub...

Slice it thick and fry it...

Some good old white bread and mayo.

YUMMO

Bruce, that is awesome, and Larry, loved what you did too. Gotta have cheese!!

Well, Friday is National Bologna Day. Last time I did one I cubed it up like burnt ends and re-seasoned and sauced then put on a toasted bun with some cheese. mmm.

C'mon buddy, dinner ready yet?? :biggrin:

Here's the final pics:

Bologna3.jpg

Took the chubs to 152º, brought them inside and foiled them because dinner was still about an hour away.

Bologna4.jpg

Sliced up and plated with some caramelized onions, on a grilled onion roll with Big Bob's Mustard Sauce and some fresh store bought potato salad.

Final review: the flavor of the meat is great, some smokiness but you know how that goes eating your product right after smoking it all day. I'll see if I detect more smokiness tomorrow. As far as the Bovine Rub, VERY GOOD, nice bark on the bologna, you get an initial sweetness followed by some salt flavor and ending with some heat, not a lot of heat, just enough to let you know it's there.

Smoked Bologna...I'd give it a 7.5; easy smoke, will make great sammies for a day or two, cheap, would be great to chunk up and eat with some crackers and spicy mustard during a football game.

Looks great. And the thought of frying of smoked bologna makes me want to try this.

Back