• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

drum smokers under construction

Thillin, I did have to make a deal with Mrs. Deez to get the barrels. I had to get rid of an old gasser I burnt up. I was going to replace the cooking area with a cutting board. I saw something similair here.

Hey Deez, and Tony,
Deeze I've been P.Ming Tony, he's probably cracking up at my questions, about the lid...I took a look at my lid this morning, The barrel is all one piece, theres no where to cut out the lid, any ideas?

Project is looking good, guys. Anxious to see finished product. Are you going to cut a door to load charcoal and wood, or will you fill the fire box from the top?

We have two steps left. Building a charcoal basket and add the brackets for the grate. From what has been said here, they will go 10+ hours and hold at 225 on a load of charcoal and wood. I am anxious to find out. Going to try and get my basket built tomorrow so I can see her in action. Hopefully be able to make mom some of her favorite BBQ Chicken on Sunday. There are further plans for painting down the road. As Tony said earlier, all the insperation has been from previous posts. Especially Bigmista's post.

Sorry Scrooge, I didn't answer your question. They will be top load.

Thillin,

Wish I could come down tomorrow. Thanks so much for the invite! I don't see a break in the schedule for me to come down there for a barrel any time soon, do don't save one for me. I need to find a similar source here in Oklahoma City. I love my drum, but I'm getting nervouse about cooking on it.. it came from Line-X and had a resin substance in it. So, one with cooking oil would be better I think. What kind of business has all these drums in DFW? Perhaps I can find a similar one here.

Be sure to show us pics of your charcoal basket.

Thanks

B

It was hotter than you know what today with the humidity in the sun. But progress had to be made to get it lit today. The charcoal basket was built and the grate brackets were put on. Along with a thermo guage. Chicken is on now for a test run for tomorrow. The hour and a half it's been going, it has not went above 250*. We sent Tony the updated pictures so he can add it to the photobucket. Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas and pictues to get a benchmark from.

Also thanks to Mrs. Deez for providing the third hand today in Tony's absence.

Do you have to burn off the original paint and repaint with heat resistant paint before you use those?

We got lucky, the ones we got had veggie oil in them. Some that have made others UDS's had Linex drums and had to burn them out.

There's a place here that has a whole pile of drums for $10 a pop, but no one can tell me what was in them. Knowing my luck it was chlordane or something:roll:

Man, I'm itchin to build me one of these, thanks for these pics, they really help

Open and find out. See if they have some spare pallets and use that to burn it out.

From what has been said here, they will go 10+ hours and hold at 225 on a load of charcoal and wood. I am anxious to find out.

You will get way more burn time than that. I did a brisket today. It was on for 12 hours. Still lots of charcoal left.

I usually shut all the vents down and save the charcoal for the next cook. Tonight I decided to clean some of my cooking grates. I opened all the vents and left the lid off for a few minutes. Brought the UDS up to 450 with no problem!!!!

These things are amazing!!!

I knew I should have gotten a brisket or butt when I was at the store...

I put one stick of wood in there kinda thin and it is not even close to being burnt down. It's still tan on top.

Deez,

Sometimes when they put food items in barrels they have a plastic coating on the inside - a lining. Are you sure yours didn' have that?

B

I grinded some down where I was going to weld the brackets b/f I decided to screw them in and it didn't seem like it. There was no smell or after taste.

DEEZ, mine has canola oil in it and for the life of me I can't see the seperation mark in the lid and the can! The top with the spourt will go on the bottom, I'm studying yours and Tonys pics, but still can't see it...

BY GOLLY I think I've got it! :roll: Duh... I hope!...I looked at your finished cover and saw where to cut...thanks deez and tony, don't forget your pics of from your new smokers!

Just so you know, that split where they press the drums together isn't easily seen until the lid is removed due to the rolled lip. When you start in with your grinder just grind under the lip and then looking at the top of the drum you will start to see it discolor and smoke, that is a sign that you have went through the outer skin of the drum. You may even go through slightly in a few places until you get use to it. Not a big problem though just tweak you procedure from there. after you get through about 1/4 of the way around the drum, you will find that you can raise the lid quite a bit and see your progress.

I have updated the Photobucket page with the latest of Mrs. DeeZ pictures. View them as a slideshow, it is easier than clicking. I am chomping at the bit to get mine completed now. I just cannot believe that DeeZ didn't finish mine too on Saturday......

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k42/tony76248/drum smoker/

Back