Best retail rub and where to get it

417bullelk

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know that I will get 100 different answers, but I'm looking for one that several of you "seasoned" Q'rs have used that I can't go wrong with.

Used for ribs and butts mainly.

I'm not your 'heavily' seasoned Q_Bro, but I recommend that you try Spicewine's offerings. Not quite 'retail' but .... my reason is that (1) they are well tested in comps, and (2) he does not include salt and pepper 'base' seasonings. You apply those to your own tastes on the product first and then the rub. For Pork it's his Hen and Hog Dust ____ for Beef it's Heifer Dust.
His sauces are some of the best I've used and they get almost a free ride with the rubs! (Smokin Cracker and Blue Collar are somethin' else) ..... [ spicewineironworks.com ]

EDIT ... Seeing a later post, I spaced out Dizzy Pig and heartily recommend his 'seasonings'. I guess they are so unique and varied, I always think of them more as 'seasonings' than rubs which I use routinely for long cooks.

Next ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Dustin i've been making my own since i took the Paul Kirk class 2yrs ago and have done well in contest,but i just got some Blues Hog Rub And Sauce from Todd@plowboysbbq.com and i like it a lot for personal use.I will try it in my next comp.

You can get large containers of Head Country rub at Sams fairly cheap. I like Head Country because it isn't so salty as others. So, it is readily available off the shelf - you don't have to order it - and it works well.

B

People were crazy about buttrub.com a couple years ago but don't know if people are using it or just not talking as much about it. I does depend on your taste do you like salty, sweet, spicy. That would help determine a rub for you.

Blutch said:
You can get large containers of Head Country rub at Sams fairly cheap. I like Head Country because it isn't so salty as others. So, it is readily available off the shelf - you don't have to order it - and it works well.

I haven't seen Head Country Rub in the Sam's here...Maybe they could order it for Me:?:

Obie-Cue is one of the rubs I use.

http://www.obiecue.com/

They have a whole slew of products. They also sell in bulk. They can also boast several world championships. I have used almost all of them. If you have any questions on a specific run let me know. I can also mail you some samples if I have what you like.

I am going to the DipKing's spice house this week and concoct 2 new BBQ rubs.
He has a warehouse full of spices and we are going to stick our heads in barrels of spices and I am changing my recipe for my rubs.
www.dipstix.com
Smoke On!!!!!!

I use Texjoy's "special BBQ seasoning" www.texjoy.com , it's pretty salty so I cut it down with my own mix of stuff....mainly brown sugar:rolleyes:. I only use it on ribs and butts so I guess it fits the bill.:wink: I grew up(they're located in Beaumont Tx., My home town) using their REG. steak seasoning on EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING !! I Love BBQ seasoning on the pig though !!:mrgreen:

As for other cuts like brisket I use my own blend...which is about 80% course blk pepper and kosher salt.

417bullelk said:
I know that I will get 100 different answers, but I'm looking for one that several of you "seasoned" Q'rs have used that I can't go wrong with.

Used for ribs and butts mainly.

I haven't had a LOT of experience, but one thing I've learned is to please your own taste.

I tried some rubs - and I thought they were too sweet. I tried other rubs and I thought they were not sweet enough. Some others were too heavily into the paprika and others were pretty good but not spicy enough.

What I wound up doing was taking rubs that were danged close to what I imagined would be the best rub . . . and mixing them with other rubs that were also danged close . . . and tried to balance them out.

I would up with a combination that I love. That's a 50/50 mix of Cowtown's All-Purpose Barbeque Seasoning and Fiorella's Jack Stack KC Steak Rub.

But that's just what works for me. Your mileage WILL be different. But that's half the fun, experimenting and developing a taste that is arse-kickin' - but in your own mind! THAT's where it counts!

For what it's worth . . .

Back