Let the Bagna Begin...

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I just started making a crock pot full of Bagna Cauda for a party and I couldn't remember anybody taking pictures of the process so I decided to snap a few to share...

First, melt 1# of butter in a crock pot with 1/2 cup of garlic

bagnabutter.jpg

When the butter is melted, add 4 cans of "Cream of..." soup. For this batch I used 2 each of Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Celery.

bagnasoup.jpg

Add one whole tube of Anchovy Paste or if you can't find it, 1 small can of Anchovie, chopped up works. Yes, you need them and no, it doesn't taste fishy.

bagnaanchovy2.jpg

It will look awful at this point no matter how much you stir it. Nature of the beast.

Ater letting it simmer for a while, add in the heavy cream

bagnacream.jpg

Once you stir it, it will smooth out.

bagnastir.jpg

Find some bread to dip...

bagnadip.jpg

And, well you know the rest...

bagnaeat.jpg

I never could figure out how something that starts off so ugly can come out so good!

Last edited:
It's in our Roadmap... Italian for "warm bath".

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18684&highlight=bagna

Greg made this at the bash this summer and everyone went nuts over it. A warm garlicy, creamy dip good with bread etc. It's a bit overpowering for me with all the butter, cream and garlic.. I like it but in moderation. Will keep the wife away for months...

Mista - Thanks for documenting with pics... Maybe we can add this to the post already in Roadmap when complete.

Interesting. Don't know if I've ever seen it or had it. 1/2 cup of garlic! Oh my gawd.

Mmmmm. I can still taste the batch Poobah made after Thanksgiving. Wish I had some more now. Does anyone know how it holds up frozen? Could be nice to make a big batch and vacuseal smaller portions for smaller groups.

And I love that anchovy toothpaste, too, Mista.:twisted:

Bigmista said:
I never could figure out how something that starts off so ugly can come out so good!

hey mista.... thats what yur mama told me at your wedding... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :tongue:

ok... ok..... im goin

But i couldnt hold back that one. :twisted: :eusa_clap :twisted: :eusa_clap :twisted: :eusa_clap

Good job Mista!!!
Except that last pic scared the **** out of me!:biggrin:

Man that looks...naughty!!! When I make it the first time I'll take a Lipitor before, a Zocor during and a Provachol before I go to bed.

I'm willing to bet a "Phillips" screwdriver might be needed too.

I've never had that problem. You guys might want to look into drinking a glass of water occassionally.

Any reason you prefer the plain heavy cream vs. the cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup Greg originally used ?

Bigmista said:
I've never had that problem. You guys might want to look into drinking a glass of water occassionally.

That was good.
I usually take my water frozen.

Mista, thanks for the photos I think the wife is going to love this as she a a garlic freak (I will cook dinner for her sometimes and use a whole head of garlic for the two of us and she always could use a little more). It reminds of fondue, what else do you dip in it or have you used it as a sauce?

MilitantSquatter said:
Any reason you prefer the plain heavy cream vs. the cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup Greg originally used ?

You use both. The heavy cream smooths out the mixture.

Back