Turkey Tails

Troyboy865

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Anyone have experience smoking or grilling turkey tails. How did you prep and cook?

No experience with tails alone, but have to admit that's one of my favorite parts on a turkey. They have a lot of fat and you'd want to render that as much as possible so that argues for a longer cook. You also want them crisp so that means a higher temperature.

Actually, any technique for doing wings would probably work. Due to size and fat content, they might take a little longer.

Damn, now I'm going to have to see if I can find a pack of "turkey a$$." Smoke them at medium temp (250-275) for a couple of hours, and then finish them off over high heat to crisp up. I know you asked about smoking and grilling, but deep frying works great too.

Turkey

tails. My dad smoked up a huge batch on Saturday. As stated, they are full of fat, so the more you render them down, the better. We have smoked, indirect grilled, and fried them. With either process, what I recommend is scoring the area where the fat is. That will help it render out. Personally, I prefer them REALLY fried, just because the flavor profile of turkey or chicken fat isn't one of my favs. Now, pork or beef fat is a different story. The tails also have some meat on em. Chicken tails ROCK too! We then eat the tails covered with a nice red salsa. Good eats. Just render em down to a point where you are good with the fat content in them.
Another good part are turkey wings. Around this time, they will sell packages of the wings alone. Talk about some good eats!

Quick story about chicken tails. During high school and college I worked at a grocery store. One of my jobs was to load and unload the chicken rotiss machine. I ALWAYS pulled the tails off for my enjoyment. One day, a customer came in pissed off cause all of the rotiss chickens he'd buy didn't have the tail on em.....................:laugh: Needless to say I didn't confess to the crime!:thumb:

Back