Beans for competition

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Anyone here do beans at contests? We're doing them at Grand Rapids for the first time and the turn-in is in the standard 9x9 box. You can use any garnish or foreign items in the box, including separate containers for bean servings. We're open to any suggestions on presentation and if any photos are available, if you're willing to share, we'd appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

This is how we did Greg's (Parrotthead's) sauce at Grill Kings last year. I've never done beans, but I assume you can do the same sort of thing, except I'd use larger cups.

grillkingsopensauce.jpg

I would think you want to serve your beans as hot as possible in six little styrofoam containers. Then do some testing of garnishes locked in the box with the hot beans. lettuce will wilt but parsley will probably hold up

Grab some cupcake liners. They have paper ones that probably won't hold shape and they have stronger aluminum foil type ones. Give those a try. The box is just the right size for 6 of those cups as well as 6 plastic spoons on the side. That's what we did for dessert turn in this past weekend.

Other than that, try finding small 2 ounce styrofoam cups and get ahold of one of those clam shell boxes to ensure that whatever you use does indeed fit in there.

Hi Jeff,
Most of the cups that you'll find that fit in the box don't hold much.

Try using the bottom of 6 peppers. I'd do 2 each red, green and yellow. You might oil and cook them a bit but not too much. You could try some onions too or tomatoes.

Little stainless cups from a restaurant supply store come in many sizes. Take the box in the store with you to make sure. You'll have to track them down afterwards in the judging tent but it shouldn't be a prob.

Mods...Might as well lock this thread down now since no one will give a better answer than drbbq. 6 pepper bottoms....great great answer. Ya just got to love a sport where people who compete against each other give out secrets.

Another good suggestion, don't compete against Bob, his beans are the schiznit!!

I stole the idea. Here's Chris Lilly's beans at the James Beard House.

Attachments

• Pictures part 2 010.jpg
    Pictures part 2 010.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 82
Jeff, This is a pic of our Beans at the GAB. We did not place well with them and the taste was not there at all.
Hope this helps

Attachments

• BBQ beans.JPG
    BBQ beans.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff, I PM'd you my recipe, did not enter this year at GAB but was in the top 20 last year. Also in top 10 for chefs choice in Blue Springs. However, after reading the last post, maybe the pepper bowl is old news. I am trying to think of something original, maybe a beer can, cut in half with spice wine stickers on them? LOL I am still thinking, not much else to do, Will get back to you.

Hollowed out apples maybe? Since the recipe we're using has apples in it? Peppers would be easier but apples more original? Then again, with only three BBQ contests a year in Michigan, I wouldn't think peppers would be old news there...

The apple might get too mushy from the heat. But it a good idea to give a test run. Remember lemons to rub the apples so they dont browm

A good crisp apple should work, I'd think. Tomatoes might work, too, if they're firm.

We were thinking of forming bowls out of $20 bills for ours... until we remembered that double blind thing.

Rome Apples would work fine. But you do them opposite of what seems natural, you turn them upside down and core them from the bottom(they are more stable this way). I made baked stuffed Rome Apples the other day at school. And they survived being twice cooked, once at school and then reheated at home. They were stuffed with chopped pecans, currants and brown sugar and topped with a pat of butter, delicious.

You could try filling them with sauce and then smoking them.

Back