logo

Ribs for Festival

The Pig's Blanket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Im going to be cooking ribs for a festival. I have no idea how many to cook and my best time is 6 hours....

I smoke my ribs 3 hours then wrap with some liquid for about 2-3 hours

My question is after smoking for 3 hours can I pull the ribs and refrigerate until I need to finish them? Or should I just cook them completely before refrigerate?

I wanna help my cook times if anyone has any suggestions?

If they are going to be for sale, the health department will have a lot to say about how you cook and how to hold them. I suggest you check with tem sooner than later.

I did talk to the HD, (MY FIRST MOVE) they only care that 135 degrees is maintained. The method of holding that tem is up to me.

From the HD.... HOLDING TEMP 135° F or greater (1 30°F for beef & pork roasts cooked or reheated as stated above)

MY 2ND call was for Liability Insurance... I am doing this right or not doing it at all!! I would never do ANYTHING that was even questionable.

I did talk to the HD, (MY FIRST MOVE) they only care that 135 degrees is maintained. The method of holding that tem is up to me.

From the HD.... HOLDING TEMP 135° F or greater (1 30°F for beef & pork roasts cooked or reheated as stated above)

MY 2ND call was for Liability Insurance... I am doing this right or not doing it at all!! I would never do ANYTHING that was even questionable.

Well, that means the cooling them down, refrigeration and reheating is out. That is the same position the Vermont Health Dept. takes on selling ribs at a Farmer's Market.

I didnt write it all out. You can re- heat, yes... You have to re heat to 165 degrees and it has to be done in 2 hours or less, then you fall back to maintaining the 135.... Thats my interpretation?

We kinda got off the question which was Do you think it would help me to smoke some ribs while I have some down time?Or should I only smoke as many as I can sell?Its a 3 day event

I would smoke half of what you think you will sell. This will let you get an idea what you will sell and give you a chance to restock.

Im going to be cooking ribs for a festival. I have no idea how many to cook and my best time is 6 hours....

I smoke my ribs 3 hours then wrap with some liquid for about 2-3 hours

My question is after smoking for 3 hours can I pull the ribs and refrigerate until I need to finish them? Or should I just cook them completely before refrigerate?

I wanna help my cook times if anyone has any suggestions?

What temp do you cook at?
Foil and liquid costs money and takes to much time. You should be able to cook ribs in 4 hours at 275 on any smoker.
Cook ahead COMPLETELY and reheat with a mop or sauce to sell.

I cook around 260-275... I aint doing this to get rich.Meaning I know I can make more money without all the liquid...... I want people in my town to try some first class BBQ...... I will have 3 smokers running and trying to turn out as good of a product as I can.... I would never do anything that may be questionable through the HD.... I have plenty of time to prepare for this cook and I am consumed by it! I think all day long of ways to turn out a great product... This is why I get on here every day to learn new ways, from the people who tried it my way and found out it didnt work as good as another way. I hoped the catering community would help guide me and not just tell me I was stupid...

Thank you to the people who have helped

follow BBBQ Bubba..he is on point...really nothing gained by liquid , just lost time / money, just on intial cook pull em as soon as tender, as you will be reheating

Ok so I rub them as usual then smoke the whole time until done? Do u spritz any? Cook around 275 whole time?

Give me a few more details and ill give it a sample run. Thanks for the advice

I cook around 260-275... I aint doing this to get rich.Meaning I know I can make more money without all the liquid...... I want people in my town to try some first class BBQ...... I will have 3 smokers running and trying to turn out as good of a product as I can.... I would never do anything that may be questionable through the HD.... I have plenty of time to prepare for this cook and I am consumed by it! I think all day long of ways to turn out a great product... This is why I get on here every day to learn new ways, from the people who tried it my way and found out it didnt work as good as another way. I hoped the catering community would help guide me and not just tell me I was stupid...

Thank you to the people who have helped

I dont think anybody here is calling you stupid.

Most people who come here have some experience and are trying to fine tune their techniques. Its hard to give answers to someone who doesnt even know the questions to ask.

First class bbq is not wrapped in foil, injected, spritzed or necessarily sauced.

Practicing on a slab of ribs is ENTIRELY diferent than cooking several cases of ribs.

How big are your rigs? Why pre cook at all? You should be able to serve fresh if you have the equipment?

Do you know your food cost on said menu?

Help us help you. :wink:

I have the menu and its fairly simple...
Pork Sandwich
Ribs full rack
Ribs Half Rack
Ribs 3 bone
Dinner - 3 bones, pork, slaw, baked beans and bread with a drink
Slaw
Beans
I was thinking about smoking some naked fattys just for people to try them... What do you think about the menu? too simple?

I have decided im not going to pre cook... If I sell out illcook more the next day. I have a 4' X 20" (pipe) horizontal offset with a 24" X 24" vertical 42" tall.... Its no monster but There is a little bit of room.....

My buddy has a RF 60"X24"... plus we have the bradley for Baked beans if needed?

How early can you start cooking, the earlier the better and just bring the meat off the pits hot to the customer. Also I agree with the other fellas no need for liquid and other things just give em the love LOL

Unless you are cooking onsite, I would imagine that the ribs would have to be cooled to 41 degrees or below an refrigerated. Unless there is a refer truck onsite, you would probably need access to a commercial kitchen.

i have always wondered about this also ...but ...if your running 3 pits couldnt you stagger starting time by say 30-45 minutes so that once the first ribs were done that would leave time for slicing, boxing...etc... say your not selling as fast as you like drop the heat on the first pit finished to be used as a warmer to hold them....maybe im totally off base here but that was my idea

Back