Smokin' on the Track Shenandoah, VA 1st comp

bdadams84

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The wife and I are looking to do our first comp. We are looking to do the Smokin' on the Track in Shenandoah, VA in September. We are getting ready to do a practice run, and buy a few more supplies.

Has anyone cooked at this venue before? I do realize that this is a new event with this year being the second one. I was just curious about some of the logistics like water and electricity. Any idea why the basic site size is so large (30 x 40)?

And I do have a question that I'm sure is simple to answer but I'll be danged if I can find the answer. When it comes to team names, does the name have to be registered with KCBS before the event or do we just put the name we want on the entry form?

I will say one thing this is a great site and has been VERY helpful for us to start getting ready.

I did it last year. It's right on the racetrack along pit row so they have tons of room hence the large site size. Electric and water were no problem.

The wife just said, we are in! And, we got a family reunion that we are hosting the following week, as well, we really plan on be in the SAMs regional comp (high hopes on my part) on Sept. 7. So, I am hoping for a really busy September!

Last year was the events first as well as ours. Heck, we even got a call in chicken! That got us hooked! Had a blast even if I only got 45 minutes sleep broke up in 15 minute increments.

For our first comp, it was great! On the inside portion of the rack track. A little uneven, but nothing that any overcome. All pavement. Very good conditions.

We are in.

wallace

Just watch out for the flies:wacko:

Oh My Gosh!! There was on team about 100' from us, I think maybe 2 sites down from the Pepper Monkey team, and they had one of those electronic hand held bug zappers! The wife and I still laugh about them swatting the flies for hours on end!

Funny.

wallace

Just watch out for the flies:wacko:

Oh My Gosh!! There was on team about 100' from us, I think maybe 2 sites down from the Pepper Monkey team, and they had one of those electronic hand held bug zappers! The wife and I still laugh about them swatting the flies for hours on end!

Funny.

wallace

The strange thing was that they just came out of nowhere and all showed up at once on Saturday.

You do not need your team registered. I hope to be there myself. There is a comp on July 19 in Louisa. Come check it out and get some ideas. I didn't check out a comp before competing and I wish I had. It would have gave me an idea of what expect.

We are looking forward to competing. There are a couple other compel we looked at but this will give us time to do a dry run. Looks like we're getting a couple ez ups from CL this week.

We look forward to meeting some of the Brethren. The "road map" thread has been invaluable. I'm sure as time draws closer we'll have more questions.

We may visit the Bel Air comp in August again. We visited last year and had a great time. This year if we make it we'll be asking questions and hopefully visiting some teams...just not around 1pm :)

For a first time comp last year, it was pretty well organized. More space than you could use unless you have a jumbo size rig ... The peoples choice was a bit chaotic, but it was an enjoyable comp. Making sure we don't have a schedule conflict this year, but if not, we would certainly return.

For a first time comp last year, it was pretty well organized. More space than you could use unless you have a jumbo size rig ... The peoples choice was a bit chaotic, but it was an enjoyable comp. Making sure we don't have a schedule conflict this year, but if not, we would certainly return.

I agree with you guys! Especially, now that we have been to more comps. I wish all comps had that amount of space as this event did! For us being right next the main water supply for those in the middle of the track, it was a mixed blessing. So many people asking to use the water, but then we got to meet a bunch of people in the process.

People's Choice being hectic?? What?? You guys looked like you were having a blast! While I did not see Mike's area, he said it was the same for him: line was a mile long. Heck didn't you guys end up giving out everything in the kitchen? I could have sworn I saw you all offering beers as you ran out of food! :biggrin1:

And one thing I agree with the organizer is that when they said it gets dark when the track lights went out, boy they were spot-on! Darker than a pole-cats-ass!! But the sky was really lite up with the open stars. Really cool.

We sure hope you guys are able to make this as it will be great to make this our 1 year competition anniversary!! Drinks are on us!

wallace

Just an update: We are in! Money paid and meat purchased. See y'all there!

dates for cook

im new to this site but I really enjoy it.will they have a back yard class at this one.i have only cooked in the driveway.

Good luck in your first comp. we did our first back in February and it was a blast. Signed up for 6 more comps so far this year. Hope you enjoy BBQ as much as we do.

We signed up about 2 weeks ago...this is the first time I've had to pay for basic electricity (I had posted a separate thread on this). We'll be bringing our fan to keep the flies away.

We signed up about 2 weeks ago...this is the first time I've had to pay for basic electricity (I had posted a separate thread on this). We'll be bringing our fan to keep the flies away.

Two years ago in Louisa, we were inundated with flies. My wife went online and found a solution. Fill a Ziploc bag with water and drop 2 pennies into it. You can hang it in your site, or place it where you don't want flies to land, such as the prep table. Seriously.....this keeps them away and all it costs it $0.02 plus a Ziploc bag.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/CB-80-Extra-Contact-Aerosol-oz-1/dp/B00474SOVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376920734&sr=8-1&keywords=cb-80+extra"]CB-80 Extra[/ame] It may seem expensive, but it works like a champ. Great in campers, too. It not only kills, but it repels, too.

Back