Rib Question

Lockon

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
In the morning I am going for my second attempt at some ribs. The last batch turned out pretty well, and the family really liked them. I did one slab Mr. Trigg style and the second just wrapped with a little bit of apple juice in the foil. This time I have 3 slabs going on and I think I will do 2 Mr. Trigg style and 1 with just apple juice during the wrap. I picked up some Apple chunks and some hickory chunks for smoke. Can I mix these two woods during the cook? Would you use just one wood? If so, which one?

Thanks!

You can mix them. Just depends on the level of smoke flavor that you want. I use apple and I like how mine turn out. The hickory definitely gives a stronger smoke flavor than just straight apple. Try it and see how you like it.

Heck yes you can! I've been mixing cherry & pecan lately, but we used to use hickory & apple at comps all the time.

Mix away. And you really can't go wrong with apple wood and pork. I don't use much hickory though and typically do an equal mix of oak and apple.

Thanks for the replies. I will try and do some pictures today.

Back