• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

the darkness

luberconn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
i am new to this forum and smoking in general. i just got my first smoker this past january. i got hooked by watching some pitmasters on tv and then some reading on the internet. anyhow, i picked up a cheap Char-Broil Double Chef and have used it 4 times now. i have been pretty satisfied with just about everything i've made (ribs, whole chicken, pork butt), but i am NOT getting the dark bark that i've seen on videos and tv. mine is just dark in a few spots but mostly reddish and it looks like the rubs i use havent "carmelized" as they seem to do in the videos. is it because my smoker isnt doing its job? is it the sugar content in the rubs? or is it because im a huge noob salad?

my smoker
20130127_124652.jpg

my very first cook. some baby backs and a whole chicken. both just have weber chick n rib seasoning.
20130127_180716.jpg

my first boston butt. the discoloration is where i stuck the probe and the juices leaked.
20130203_101135_zps38556d16.jpg

my last butt done this past weekend. used some bone suckin seasoning and some pork rub from the local meat market.
20130323_215152_zps2fb2354e.jpg

at what time are you foiling that butt. looks like you just foiled way before the bark was ready

What temps are you cooking at? Also some sugar in the rub will aid in bark formation. BTW welcome to camp!

Use less rub you have more rub on that little Butt than I use on 20. Just so your aware you don't even need rub to get bark
This but was cooked on my UDS with a hearty application of Kosher salt. IMO BBQ rub is a total waste of money on large primal cuts. Once it looks like the picture below you can't taste it.
DSCF0029.jpg

What temp are you cooking at?? If less than 250 there is a large part of you problem. I don't cook anything below 275 and most of the time 300-350.

One trick to foiling is to foil more when the appearance is what you want as opposed to foiling at a specific temp.

I'd rather have the color you have than have it black. Those ribs and chicken look good.

What temps are you cooking at? Also some sugar in the rub will aid in bark formation. BTW welcome to camp!

kept at 250 for the majority. i think sugar is probably right. the rubs i used have some sugar content but taste more savory than anything. thanks for the welcome!

Use less rub you have more rub on that little Butt than I use on 20. Just so your aware you don't even need rub to get bark
This but was cooked on my UDS with a hearty application of Kosher salt. IMO BBQ rub is a total waste of money on large primal cuts. Once it looks like the picture below you can't taste it.
DSCF0029.jpg

What temp are you cooking at?? If less than 250 there is a large part of you problem. I don't cook anything below 275 and most of the time 300-350.

thats the darkness im used to seeing. i kept my cook from 230-280. sat at 250 probably 90% of the time. temp monitored by maverick et-732. i did coat my butts pretty heavily with rub.

I did not see you using foil, but if you did and it was to soon it will lighten it up.
Dave

i foiled both times. the first but i posted i wrapped right after i took taht pic. i just stuck the probe in it and you can see the discoloration from the juice that leaked out. i didnt have the maverick at the time. on the 2nd but which is even lighter, i wrapped it 7hrs into the 10hr total cook.

One trick to foiling is to foil more when the appearance is what you want as opposed to foiling at a specific temp.

i think im learning this now. thanks for the input. these are the little type of things im looking for so i can become more consistent.

I'd rather have the color you have than have it black. Those ribs and chicken look good.

i havent really had a really dark one. mine actually do taste good and havent gotten any complaints yet. but from what ive seen from the majority of vids, they just seem to have the darker bark. so if figured i was now doing something right.

how about wood content? would that effect the bark? or does that come mostly from the charcoal? i only used about 6 chunks of hickory the entire cook. the meat had plenty of smokey flavor...

at what time are you foiling that butt. looks like you just foiled way before the bark was ready

hey UT, fancy seeing you here. finally took the plunge and joined the site. i foiled this one around 7hrs into the 10hr cook if i remember correctly. my cooker is holding temps suprisingly well. i wonder if having the water pan on the shelf right below the meat instead of below the 2nd rack is creating too much steam and not allowing the bark to darken? i saw a vid where the dude wrapped his butt after only 4hrs or something crazy like that....

i know my temps are ideal and cook times are long enough

I totally agree, the ribs look damn good to me and chicken doesn't look good when it gets black.

thanks man. next year i hope to get a WSM. i picked up that char-broil for $50 on craigslist and it had been used only once. figured it would be good "first car" type rig. i am actually pleasantly surprised by this thing. it held temps like a champ in 15-20 degree weather without any blankets or shielding. the fuel efficiency is not too shabby. i just wish it had a deeper charcoal chamber. i can cook for about 6 hrs before i have to add more coals.

I'm not seeing any issues with the color of the ribs or chicken. I prefer that nice red mahogany color that you have over really dark bark for those two cuts.

Like Bluedawg said, for the butt it looks like you have way to much rub on there. My trick for applying rub is as follows.

Dry the meat really, really well with paper towels. Sprinkle the seasoning on and give it a few pats with your hand to rub it in. Get it rubbed like this all over then give it a little shake. Anything that hasn't stuck to the meat already and falls off is excessive.

yah, i coated that second butt big time. wrapped it overnight. then when i threw it on the cooker i sprinkled some more rub on it. in my head, i thought the rub was why i wasnt getting the color. thanks for the tip!

WA in the house!!

300-350, don't lift the lid period till it hits 205-210 internal and I mean it lol, the less you care about BBQ and the less you baby it the better it comes out.
This one is just 1/2 cup salt & peppa, 1 tbs chipotle cook till done. No water in the pan.
9C842998-88CD-4BE7-BF03-60D84E0B3883-2228-000003E38A8AA803_zps3840405b.jpg

For not such a dry bark wrap in BP @180
28BDC56E-10CF-4082-BEF2-C3348EC98E3D-2228-000003E3954CD44C_zps62ae84e1.jpg

Remember that the malliard reaction happens @like 310 which gives that color, any less temp, you just spinnin yo wheelz. Good luck man!

i like the looks of that. i might try sand in the waterpan next time. its crazy that ive eaten pulled pork the past 4 days in a row and a picture of it can still make my mouth water.

i like the looks of that. i might try sand in the waterpan next time. its crazy that ive eaten pulled pork the past 4 days in a row and a picture of it can still make my mouth water.

Why not just take the water pan cometely out? The waterpan makes you use more fuel and it takes away that flavor that so many of us love on a UDS, that direct cooked fat drippin on the coals BBQ flavor. Just glancing at your pit you look like your far enough away from the coals. You oughta take that pit, drill 3 holes and some bolts and make a taller rack up top since you got a domed lid. My meat is 28" away from the coals on the uds and never burns

Am I the only one that was a little freaked out about how this post ghosted last night?
Maybe I watched too many horror movies over the weekend

Why not just take the water pan cometely out? The waterpan makes you use more fuel and it takes away that flavor that so many of us love on a UDS, that direct cooked fat drippin on the coals BBQ flavor. Just glancing at your pit you look like your far enough away from the coals. You oughta take that pit, drill 3 holes and some bolts and make a taller rack up top since you got a domed lid. My meat is 28" away from the coals on the uds and never burns

i may experiment with these options. gonna do some baby backs this weekend and a turkey breast for easter. i probably have about 3-4" i can raise the top rack. not sure if i'll need to though since i have plenty of room to cook on the lower rack....but for me to use the lower rack i'll have to put the water pan in its designated spot under the lower rack and that would put it down right on top of hte coals....

Am I the only one that was a little freaked out about how this post ghosted last night?
Maybe I watched too many horror movies over the weekend

i think i missed something here. ha

yah, i coated that second butt big time. wrapped it overnight. then when i threw it on the cooker i sprinkled some more rub on it. in my head, i thought the rub was why i wasnt getting the color. thanks for the tip!

WA in the house!!

I put a ton of rub on mine and still get a nice bark. If you put the rub on the night before and wrap it your gonna have to set it out unwrapped ahead of time and let the outside dry more before going on the smoker.The wrap holds the moisture in and kinda turns your rub to mush and it just doesnt cook right, escpecially if your foiling part way through. I usually sit mine out at least a couple hours in advance unwrapped on a rack to dry back out.

i put about as much rub as i had seen on some of the videos. seems like it can go either way...see some guys who seem very technical and make sure every exposed part of the meat is covered in rub, then on the opposite spectrum i see hardcore bbq guys just dash it on lackadaisically without a care in the world.

Back