Nolen Custom Smoker VS Pit Boss Grills

stokestackbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a low-end, rotisserie, gas-assisted insulated smoker. These two guys seem to do it for around the same price, so I've been talking with both of 'em, who happen to be just down the road from each other.

They both say that the other is no-good. They have clearly had some kind of disagreement. Help me cut through the BS. What's the story with the cookers from these two? Does anyone have any experience with either?

I was curious about Nolens myself. I haven't heard anything really about them. I was interested in a Cadillac Rotisserie . From what I have read, they seem to be very good. I would like more info as well.

I've done research on these two companies as well. I remember reading on a forum somewhere that Steve Nolen use to be partners with the owner of Cadillac Cookers but they had a falling out. I noticed that PB used pictures taken from Nolen's web page.

Nolen's get support from LuLu's Barbecue (https://www.facebook.com/LuLusBarBque?fref=ts) so you may want to ask them for some info on the performance of his products. I did and they raved about the quality. The one thing that is annoying me is neither Lulu's or Nolen can't explain to me how the technology on their cookers work.

Cadillac Cookers does a good job discussing the technology behind their cookers. Their customer service is a lot better too (Nolen is very slow at getting back to you). They don't have a insulated smoker but I have been told they are working on a prototype.

bparkermt

Regarding Nolens Smokers - My son in law purchased a smoker from Nolen over a year ago. It was comparable in capacity to the Southern Pride SBK1000, which sells for over $27,000.
His experience with Nolens has confirmed the old adage "you get what you pay for". He has had several problems with the smoker, which the company has refused to address AT ALL. First, it was delivered almost 6 weeks past when it was supposed to arrive. Then, the hydraulic arm which supports the door failed and the door fell on an employee, resulting in a trip to the hospital. The socket on the arm was plastic and had melted. Nolen stated that it broke because the door had been shut too hard (not true) and that he had broken several of those units himself by shutting it too hard. Logic would dictate that, after breaking several of these things, you might want to redesign that component of the smoker. The part is about a $35 part.

The second problem was that the gasket around the inside of the door came loose, causing heat and smoke to escape resulting in a loss of smokey flavor to the meat and a warping of the control unit. DO NOT BUY FROM NOLEN!!!!

Back