• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Just built a charcoal kiln

Garrett

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've been searching this week about making charcoal. Seen a lot of different ways to do it and decided this would be best for me. Picked up 30 gal barrel this morning for $15 the 55 gal drum was given to me. All total I have $40 in this.

List of materials are 1-55 gal drum, 30 gal drum, 8" to 6" stove pipe reducer, 6" x 5 ft stove pipe, and 4 L brackets.
Cut a hole in the top of lid from 55 gal drum and attached reducer with L brackets.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359227947.064104.jpg
Then cut roughly 1/2" holes 5" apart and 3" up from bottom of 55 gal drum. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359228057.961453.jpg
The 30 gal drum will be to put the wood in that I want make charcoal out of, and will have it in upside down in the bigger barrel. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359228157.450214.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359228174.183258.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359228190.818341.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1359228208.133803.jpg
I will put whatever kind of scrap wood I can find to fill in around the 2 barrels for fuel. If anyone has any tips on making charcoal please do tell. This will be a first for me.

Are you sure the stacks gonna be long enough? :biggrin1:

I'm just kidding of course! I've been threatening to build one for awhile. I'm really anxious to hear your results. When ya gonna fire it up?

Jason

Are you sure the stacks gonna be long enough? :biggrin1:

I'm just kidding of course! I've been threatening to build one for awhile. I'm really anxious to hear your results. When ya gonna fire it up?

Jason

From what I understand the stack being long like that is to help burn off the gasses and make it clean when it comes out. I have no farking clue. Just started reading about it this week.

Gonna have to wait till next weekend cause all my wood got wet yesterday from the sleet and freezing rain we had. Can't wait to try it, hoping someone will chime in with some advice.

Looks good brotha can't wait to see what you product :thumb:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s3yevC9cB8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s3yevC9cB8[/ame]

Thanks for the video. After seeing that I'm going to add some more holes in the top to make sure I get a clean burn.

No problem brotha, look up charcoal retort on YouTube there's a few vids on there. You should make a video of how you do it when you do one of your batches.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Looks awesome!!!

Just a question.
This is not meant to be negative.

The time you put into making lump as opposed to buying it already made.

Do you save money or is it just reinventing the wheel ?

Looks awesome!!!

Just a question.
This is not meant to be negative.

The time you put into making lump as opposed to buying it already made.

Do you save money or is it just reinventing the wheel ?

If I was to look at all my BBQ stuff from a money standpoint, then it would be a million times cheaper to just go out to the local joint and call it a day. I have twins that are almost 5 yrs old and every chance that I get to teach them something, or show them that things don't come from a grocery store then I try to educate them and myself. Plus I think it's going to be pretty Farking cool.

I know you didn't copy mine because I couldn't figger out how to post the pictures. Best design we'll done.

Wow, that retort vid is like night and day compared to this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHiyOP0PqMY"]Making Charcoal - Part Two - YouTube[/ame]

Back