Beef Rouladen

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We're going to a family gathering this coming weekend and the theme for the day is German food. I thought about making Beef Rouladen. I've seen a bunch of recipes online but I'm wondering if any of you has one that you know is very good.

New to me too. From the recipes I found online, it looks like it is a very good dish. Now I need to try it here.

I used to date this really hot German Chick, whose mom (another hot German chick) would make Rouladen and it was really good. I am going to have to think back about what was in it, and how it was prepared but I remember pickles, mustard and beef.
It sounds awful but it was kick azz.

I used to date this really hot German Chick, whose mom (another hot German chick) would make Rouladen and it was really good. I am going to have to think back about what was in it, and how it was prepared but I remember pickles, mustard and beef.

I just googled, "hot german chick rouladen recipe." Is this it? :noidea:

Rouladen.jpg

If you run into her, please ask her why she used a mint-flavored toothpick.

... how about braciole? :becky:
Now you're talking. Start another thread and post it up, please. I have a recipe hiding around here in an old disintegrating paperback cookbook. It's very good but not how I remembered it as a kid. Actually that might be a good thing. What I remember as a kid was my mom serving us frozen braciole (or bracciolini) that had lots of bread stuffing in it. :mrgreen:

Now you're talking. Start another thread and post it up, please. I have a recipe hiding around here in an old disintegrating paperback cookbook. It's very good but not how I remembered it as a kid. Actually that might be a good thing. What I remember as a kid was my mom serving us frozen braciole (or bracciolini) that had lots of bread stuffing in it. :mrgreen:

bread stuffing, black pepper, parsley, Romano-Parmesan, olive oil, and garlic, except in the reverse order. :becky:

The rouladen I used to sell were just pickle spears wrapped up with a cube steak. I browned them up in the pan, deglazed with some cheap reisling wine, added a bit of water, braised them for a half hour or more, then thickened the pan juices into a gravy for serving.
That was 25 years ago...I don't remember if I liked the result or not. :oops:

German Rouladens - Beef

This is the full recipe for the German Rouladens that I make ( my Grandma's recipe ).
The original recipe is made in the oven ( very good ), the changes I do for smoking are listed at the bottom of the recipe.
Tweak the recipe to make it your own or use as is. Enjoy.

1 1/2 lbs --- beef flank steak or round steak
6 --- slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
3/4 cup --- chopped onion
1/3 cup --- chopped dill pickles
1/4 cup --- flour
2 cups --- beef broth, canned or homemade
German spicy mustard ( stone ground )or Dijon mustard, will do
salt and cracked black pepper to taste

1. With meat mallet flatten meat to about a 8" x 10" rectangle ( roughly 1/4" thick )

2. Salt and pepper flattened meat (inside side ), then slather with mustard.

3. In large skillet on medium high heat, cook bacon til bacon is crisp,

4. remove bacon to drain, and cook onions in the bacon grease til they just

5. start to brown, remove to cool slightly

6. Pour off bacon grease reserving 1/4 cup in skillet.

7. Crumble bacon and mix with the onions. Spread bacon and onion mixture over meat.

8. Sprinkle pickle on top of onion and bacon mix.

9. Roll up meat from short end and secure with string, then season with

10. outside of roll with salt and cracked black pepper

11. Place meat roll in skillet over medium high heat in reserved bacon fat

12. and lightly brown on all sides.

13. Remove roll to 13x9 baking dish.

14. Stir flour into fat in skillet and blend until smooth, gradually

15. stirring in beef broth, and cook and stir over medium heat until slightly

16. thickened.

17. Pour sauce over beef roll.

18. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for around 1 1/2 hours or until done.

19. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

20. Skim fat from sauce, strain and serve with meat.

Tips
Smoker version

I do everything the same right up to browning the meat (you can brown the meat if you like ), then I put the rolls in the smoker to cook.

After they have been in the smoker for about 30 --45 minutes, wrap them in foil and return to smoker to finish cooking

When done, let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing.

Serve with earlier made sauce ( heated ), pour over the sliced roll when serving

The rouladen I used to sell were just pickle spears wrapped up with a cube steak. I browned them up in the pan, deglazed with some cheap reisling wine, added a bit of water, braised them for a half hour or more, then thickened the pan juices into a gravy for serving.
That was 25 years ago...I don't remember if I liked the result or not. :oops:
Somehow I should have figured that with Ron-O, that pickles would be involved.:rolleyes:

Just admit it that the only thing you remember about this chick was her BOOBIES!:wacko:

German Rouladens - Beef

This is the full recipe for the German Rouladens that I make ( my Grandma's recipe ).
The original recipe is made in the oven ( very good ), the changes I do for smoking are listed at the bottom of the recipe.
Tweak the recipe to make it your own or use as is. Enjoy.

Thanks, OSD! That sounds great!

Ricght now I'm thinking of doing the prep work and maybe an hour of the baking time on Friday evening, and then finishing them when we get to my SIL's house on Saturday afternoon. Do you think that would work?

Also, I need enough for 12 people. How many would this recipe feed?

Wow OSD, thanks for the recipe. Before this thread I have not heard of it. Looks like an adventure to try.

I can't believe this many people have never heard of Rouladen. You all lead such sheltered lives :D

Thanks, OSD! That sounds great!

Ricght now I'm thinking of doing the prep work and maybe an hour of the baking time on Friday evening, and then finishing them when we get to my SIL's house on Saturday afternoon. Do you think that would work?

Also, I need enough for 12 people. How many would this recipe feed?

This will feed 4 people, each with a 6oz serving. This is great served with warm German potato salad and red cabbage.

Back