Brisket Attempt #2

Buckeye Bob

Reaction score
Decided to do Brisket this past weekend. I have posted on brisket before but since there have been so many questions on brisket recently by a number of new people on the forums, I decided to post some more pics of this cook. Here we go.

Started with the "Smoklahoma" rub from Steven Raichlen and made some changes. Includes smoked and regular paprika, cayenne pepper, white pepper, kosher salt, brown sugar, oregano, celery salt, black pepper, cumin, mild chile powder, and garlic powder.

IMG_0971.jpg

I had a nice 6# CAB Brisket

DSC_0629.jpg

I rubbed it and let it sit for a couple of hours

DSC_0631.jpg

I decided to cook "Travis style". I filled the roasting pan with Shiner Bock, Beef broth and a red onion

DSC_0632-1.jpg

I set my DigiQ for 285, measured at the grid, and got it going using some apricot wood for smoke.

DSC_0633.jpg

I cooked until it hit about 165 internal temp

DSC_0635.jpg

Then I dropped it down in the liquid to finish cooking and raised the temp to about 315

DSC_0636-1.jpg

Once I could insert and remove the temp probe without resistance, I took it off and let it sit. Internal temp was at about 200. Total cook time was about 5 1/2 hours.

DSC_0637.jpg

Sliced it up and served with baked beans and a salad.

DSC_0638.jpg

Have to say, this was the best brisket I have ever done. Very tender and juicy. This method works great, especially if you are only cooking a flat. The higher temp and braising helps to keep it from drying out but you still get bark and a smoke ring doing it this way.

Haven't tried "Travis Style" before ... might have to give it a go. Looks pretty good!

That meat looks great no matter what kind of cooker it came off of! Might have to try that technique!

Nice lookin hunk of beef! I love that kosher salt works great in my rub with the other granules. THx for the post :beer:

Sent from my SGH-T999

Back