Baby shower, country style (Guns n BBQ!)

pinkelephant

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My wife had her baby shower yesterday. She's due around Nov 1st.
The party was a pot luck but I knew that there would need to be a bunch of food to feed the guests.
After the party is well under way, I grabbed a group of like minded 2nd ammendment lovers and ran off to the rifle range.

The menu from the pit was bourbon baked beans, ribs, chicken, rotisserie chicken (by request) and "Alien BBQ" mac-n-cheese. The ribs were apple smoked. Everything else was mesquite smoked.

I got up at 6am, the birds were chirpin, cool temps with a nice breeze.
BBShower01-1.jpg

I slapped down an apple log in the basket and filled it with a red bag of RO (USA) lump.
BBShower02-1.jpg

6 racks of ribs with Oakridge BBQ competition rub
BBShower03-1.jpg

BBShower04-1.jpg

BBShower05-1.jpg

I added the pizza pan diffuser and added the ribs
BBShower06-1.jpg

BBShower07-1.jpg

Bourbon Baked beans.
I sliced up the veggies and fired up the other UDS and got it all grillin.
BBShower08-1.jpg

BBShower09-1.jpg

BBShower10-1.jpg

I got the rest of it together and got it boiling inside
BBShower11-1.jpg

BBShower12-1.jpg

I put it all together, lowered the fire basket and got it all cooking
BBShower13-1.jpg

BBShower14-1.jpg

BBShower15-1.jpg

I then foiled the baby backs at 3 hrs
BBShower16-1.jpg

The last leg was a mad rush of constant multitasking. I got the ribs done with Roxy's rib glaze. Got the chicken done with some Big Ron's BBQ sauce. Got the beans done and simmering in a crock pot. got the mac-n-cheese done with a pound of NY strip mixed in. I did a rotisserie chicken for someone too. Filipinas LOVE rotisserie chicken.

everything went in the wife's car and beat me to the party by 30 minutes (had to shower). I sent off the mac-n-cheese without taking pics.
BBShower17-A.jpg

BBShower18-A.jpg

BBShower19-1.jpg

BBShower20-1.jpg

BBShower20-A.jpg

BBShower21-1.jpg

BBShower22-A.jpg

BBShower23-1.jpg

BBShower24-1.jpg

By the time I arrived to the party, the mac-n-cheese had already been half eaten and half the ribs and chicken were gone too. All the food was eaten shortly after that. I never even got to taste my chicken, but from the great responses, I got it right.
BBShower25-1.jpg

BBShower26-1.jpg

BBShower27-1.jpg

Here is my preggo bride. She's 7.5 months pregnant now :becky:
BBShower28-1.jpg

BBShower29-1.jpg

BBShower30-1.jpg

BBShower31-1.jpg

BBShower32-1.jpg

The trip to the rifle range went great. the host of our party took the first group to the range and then my group had 9 people in it. We all had a blast. Mosin Nagant, an AK, a FIN FAL, two 38 revolvers, three pistols (9mm, 40, 45ACP), pistol grip shotgun, semi auto 16ga shotgun and a Marlin model 60 (.22 rifle)

Next weekend, these twin girls are having thier first birthday and I'm pumping out 12 whole chickens and some more bourbon baked beans for that party.
BBShower33-1.jpg

What a Throw Down! It does not get any better than that! Family, Friends and BBQ. Great food and Great Pic's. Thanks for Sharing!

You need to enter this in the current Throw Down.

Looks like a great day! Food looks mighty tasty too. Congrats to you and your Mrs. on the upcoming little one. :thumb:

The food looks fantastic. Congrats on the little one, and it looks like you have a beautiful family. :thumbup:

Everything looks good,interesting take on the beans gotta recipe on those you wouldnt mind sharing

(pasted from my recipe folder)

Bourbon Barbecue Baked Beans Recipe
Yield. About 12 servings
Preparation time. 20 minutes
Cooking time. 45 minutes or more
Ingredients
6 strips of thick cut bacon
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
1 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
1 jalapeño, or more or less to your taste, coarsely chopped
1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed, or 1/4 pound dried red kidney beans
1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed, or 1/4 pound dried white kidney beans
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed, or 1/4 pound dried black beans
3/4 cup Kansas City style BBQ sauce
4 tablespoons molasses, any grade
1/4 cup Kentucky Bourbon or Tennessee whiskey
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 bay leaf (try not to leave this out)
About the beans. You can use all one type of bean. The beans in the photo were made with white kidneys only.
About the bacon. Substitute hot dogs for bacon and you have Beanie Weenies.
About the peppers. Substitute poblanos for bell peppers. Richer flavor and a little heat.
Optional add-ins. Add 1 teaspoon chili powder or ancho powder and/or 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves (not powder). Add 1 tart apple such as Granny Smith or Jonathan, peeled, cubed, and add it with the whiskey.
Do this
Make sure you are using a 2 quart or larger pot or Dutch oven. Cook the bacon over a medium heat. When it begins to brown, flip it, brown the other side, but remove it before it renders all its fat and gets hard. We want bacon that we can cut, not crumble. You will probably need to do the bacon in two batches. And what the heck, go ahead and cook an extra slice or two and eat it when nobody is watching.
Pour off the bacon fat into a coffee cup leaving behind about 2 tablespoons and most of the brown bits dissolved in the fat. When the fat in the cup begins to cool, but before it hardens, move it to a plastic tub and store it in the fridge. You can use this later for cooking onions or veggies. Nothing perks up broccoli like bacon fat!
Add the onions and peppers and cook them until they wilt.
Add everything else. There are three good ways to cook these beans:
On your grill/smoker. If you have a smoker, put them below the meat for about 3 hours at 225F. They will collect flavorful, smoky drippings from the meat laden with seasoning from the rub. Just be sure they don't burn.
In your oven. Put the pot in your oven uncovered for 2 hours at 250°F. Stir every 30 minutes to make sure they don't burn.
On the stovetop. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat and then turn it back to simmer for 30 minutes without a lid. Stir and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon every 10 minutes to prevent burning and sticking. Try to keep the bay leaf submerged.
Remove the bay leaf. Taste and adjust the flavors as you see fit. If you like it spicier, add hot sauce. Add more molasses if you like it sweeter, or salt if you think it needs it. Cook it longer if you want it thicker, or add water if you want it thinner.
#10 can, do 2.5 times the above recipe. Full size pan required.

Very nice!

Sleep while you can - it's all gonna change very soon!

By the time I arrived to the party, the mac-n-cheese had already been half eaten and half the ribs and chicken were gone too. All the food was eaten shortly after that. I never even got to taste my chicken, but from the great responses, I got it right.

I think this is my favorite part of puttin' on a big feed!! Great job and good lookin' fam.

Back