update!

phil c

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been bad and havent posted in a while but I have been busy:)
Last tues I competed in the Iowa State Fair Cookoff Comp. Unfortunatly my Beef didnt place but I did win the showmansip catagory! Got me a nice blue ribbon and some cash!
Then This last Fri I did my first ever vend. WOW what a lot of work! It was a BBQ and music fest in a nearby town, bands from 11:00 am till midnight, a motorcycle poker run, a tractor cruise, and a car show! I was 1 of 4 vendors with close to 2000 people thru the gate. I didnt do quite as well as the other vendors, I'll chalk that up to being the new guy (2 of the other vendors were guys from that town and the other guy vends at just about every event in the area). and I didnt have a very flashy setup (few lights, no banners or backdrop) But I got through the health dept inspection with no problem, Got many compliments on my meat (pulled pork, bb ribs, and brisket, along with sides) sold out of brisket, 4-15 lb. packers. and had about 15 lbs of PP and 6 racks left over. along with 1/2 gal beans and a gal. of slaw.
I was exausted! I didnt sleep from when I got up Fri morn. for the day job and finally got into bed 42 hrs later! I need to figure out a way to get some sleep! Only downed 1 5 hr energy though!
But we got great experience, learned a ton and got lots of compliments from customers and other vendors. We also got invited back for the fest next year! Oh yeah, we turned a profit as well! Not enough to retire but enough to make it worth our while!
Sorry no pics, but we were just to damn busy!

Glad to hear it was a success for you. If you do this on a regular basis, it will get easier. You will know what you need and have things ready to set up. Where was the festival?

Phil, throw a shout out next year about a month early and maybe some local brethren will gather and swap lies. I'm just down the road at Montezuma!
Does this festival have beer?
Ed

Beer??? at a BBQ Fest???? Why I never heard of such a thing!! There was a tent that was selling tall cans of something.....

Back