Is an Online Cooking Class Worth It?

Outnumbered

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I'm tired of losing and I am going to get better or get out.

So, I want to do a class. What are the best out there? Has anyone ever done one online? I found this, http://www.barbecuecoach.com, and it appears Big O and Swine Assassins are both members here. I like the idea of the online class and the fact I can go back and watch these videos at will. I like that better than spending the same money on a one and done weekend class.

Last edited:
If you really want to take a class I would spend the money on a face to face class as to what one to take I will there are several one out there that are very good like Rods, Todd's, and a few others. go with and open mind and take note PLEASE keep this in mind just because you went to a class doesn't mean you going to win it still take hard work and constancy

Thanks, Dustaway, appreciate the input here. What's the advantage to the face to face in your opinion? I like that one for the fellowship aspect and being able to interact with the cook.

As for the being an auto winner, I'm living proof that a college degree doesn't make you smarter. :) I have no illusions that writing a $600 check will automatically make me a winner. I just want to try to get some ideas on how I can improve.

Funny, I was just watching [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZq7U2I9Pl4"]this video[/ame] the other day. It's a "teaser" video, likely to drum up business for their website. I'm not saying the guy doesn't know what he's doing, but the production value is kind of lacking. I'd tend to agree, an in person class offered by a known source would probably be your best bet.

Make a vacation out of it and come to Florida. Rub from Swamp Boys puts on a class that everyone talks about. Every contest I have ever gone to and talked with teams about competeing, the first thing they say is "take Rubs class and it will save you tons of time and money" Not just one or two teams....90% of them!!! The guys list of students that have gone on to win multiple GC's is huge. I have met the man several times and he is a great guy who takes time to pass on his gift of Q. It might seem like a lot of money but I look at it like this, If I want to get a degree in something at a local university, how much will it cost? Degree in Q..... $500.00 SEEMS PRETTY CHEAP TO ME. I know Myron does a few as well as Bubba Que.
I will be attending one of his classes soon. I have a little one on the way so it is taking a while for me to go. I am more looking to improve my own cooking though and would like to see a class for guys wanting to take their own food to a different level. I may do a local contest but not intereseyed in doing multiple cooks each year.Anyway good luck to you.

As far as the on site, personal approach of classes, one thing that pops up quickly is something so simple as meat color and how it would look through all the changes it takes for you to see. Not an IT guy but I know most monitors display somewhat differently in many features. Plus the ability to clarify at the proper time so you can understand would be huge. As mentioned there are many great classes and instructors. Taking proper notes is highly recomended in the classes that don't give a handbook. I know for a fact that many teams that go the up to date classes benefit right from the time they leave the instruction. Best money spent is wise teachings. Steve.

I dont know how the online classes work, but the thing that is nice about them is that they are more of a continuing education thing. if you go and take a class with an instructor, i am sure they will answer questions after the fact, but the main instruction period is over. With the online, you can just go re-watch a video, wait for a new video or email the instructor. You are always a customer and a student.

Probably more important to think about is what kind of cooker is the teacher and what kind of cooker are you. Are you planning on replicating or incorporating. If you take a power cooking class and you live low and slow, does that really help? If the teacher cooks on a FEC and you love your lang, is that worth the money? If you want to incorporate what you learned, do you have a solid enough understanding about everyone competition BBQ to know what you can and can't incorporate and what is going to require some modification? A new cook might want to just replicate the recipes of a teacher.

The other thing that a in-person class would offer is tastes, some of these offer a taste of what they are doing, either of the rub they use or the finished product. There is simply no better way to learn about food than tasting it.

The other thing that a in-person class would offer is tastes, some of these offer a taste of what they are doing, either of the rub they use or the finished product. There is simply no better way to learn about food than tasting it.
The info he presents is good, but he is no public speaker or TV personalitie - it gets touch to sit and watch. And if you sign up I believe you only get access to certain videos, and if I remember correctly the Hot & Fast cooking ones are available first, not the low and slow.

dont know why I didnt think of this first.

if you want to get better, go buy Chris Hart's Wicked Good BBQ cookbook. The first 4 recipes are winning competition BBQ recipes. Easy to read, understand and execute. you can win with those recipes straight from the book. Plus he is a brethren, good guy, and a world champion.

Thanks for the nice words Rick, I do appreciate it! I've got a class coming up on the Gulf coast (Venice) of FL in a month and a half I'll be promoting soon.

Different people learn in different ways. I'm a visual and tactile learner so in person is the way for me, and I try to provide a variety of learning styles in my classes. Some of the teams that have taken my class are making some serious noise right now. Some had big skills coming in, and have elevated their game to the highest level since. Cooker types don't matter with me, the techniques work with any style. I've used them with offsets, gravity feeds, WSMs, and pellet cookers.

Good luck in choosing your class and style. There are some good ones out there!

Back