• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

hog roast for a poker run

rgrizzle

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am going to do a whole hog for a poker run on September 1st the American Legion is putting it on and they are buying the pig. They want to have it quartered they are looking at 150 lb. Pig cooking at 250* what time does? Every one think 16 hrs.? Or shorter longer?

A whole hog quartered doesn't make sense, having someone else buy the hog is not a good idea since you need to have control of the meat from purchase to serving in order to be assured of safe handling. If they are wanting a quartered hog why not just do butts?

12 hours will be enough. I get 200# ones split down the back, they cook in 12 hrs @ 250.

I dont mean to hijack but about how long for a 120lb hog split at 250?

A whole hog quartered doesn't make sense, having someone else buy the hog is not a good idea since you need to have control of the meat from purchase to serving in order to be assured of safe handling. If they are wanting a quartered hog why not just do butts?

I do agree with you on everything you said. In a since I will be there to pick up the hog from the butcher. I did ask them why not go with butts instead they said they advertised hog so that's what they want.

what kind of cooker? size, charcoal or gas
I would have it butterflied and cook 12 hrs the last hour & half kick the temp to about 300

Last edited:
well only a couple of days left before my big day everyone wish me luck cuz this is my first attempt at a whole piggy, done plenty of research and hopefully everything will turn out fine. would hate to piss off a bunch of bikers with a bad pig...

well the pig roast went very well

attachment.php

Back