Pretty Good BBQ 2012, Dayton, Ohio

12 more days..................will get to see some good people......doing a good thing......

The address is 1222 North Main St, Dayton, Oh 45405 for you GPSers.
Directions:

From the North:
Take 75 South to the Main St Exit in Dayton
Turn Right onto Main Street
Go about 800 Yards to Helena St.
Turn Right onto Helena St
Church is immediatly on your Left.

From the South:
Take 75 North to the Main St Exit in Dayton
Turn Left onto Main St.

From East:
If taking 35:
Take 35 West to 75 North
Turn Left onto Main St.

If Taking 70:
Take 70 West to 75 South
Turn Right onto Main St.

From the West:
Take 70 East to 75 South
Turn Right onto Main St.

It's getting close! PM me with your cell number if you're coming to the PGBBQ, in any capacity, and I'll return with mine. If you don't want texts, let me know, but send your number either way.

I am excited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

One of two orders of pork has arrived... the second half will arrive on Thursday.
The first 5 cases (248.5 lbs/30 butts) is sitting broken down and resting in (2) iced/chilled marine coolers currently being stored in air conditioning.... my living room.

Currently under 3 moving blankets... talking about getting real here.

IMG_20120501_190820.jpg

Its that time... BBQ time in Dayton!

Nearly 600 lbs of pork in 4 coolers on ice... neatly wrapped in blankets and under a reflective tarp waiting in the bed of the truck .

12 o'clock is zero hour.

Need something to do?

Join us!

Man I wish I could be there guys.
Hoping the weather holds out and praying your food will minister to the folks of Dayton again.

It breaks my heart to miss it this year, but I am still in
hospital. Praying for yall

OK all, I had to split from PGB III for youth ministry at my church. They should be serving in Dayton in half an hour or so.
We went international with help from Toronto!
I am going to try and upload the pictures I have.
To all, this is a wonderful group of people, to Putnam, Bandit, Pat, Curt and the rest who were there, you blessed me! To Harbormaster, Divemaster, Bubba and the rest who missed, you were missed tremendously!
I will try to upload the the pics and get some rest..........or Arby's.
Pics won't load. Will put on PGB 2012I Facebook page.

It was a good time and nice to put faces with the Brethren screen names. Really glad I made arrangements to come out and help cook!

Great pics Curt. Some very familiar faces too!

Man I missed being there.

Last edited:
I took 47 pictures, and only one was unusable. It was a shot of NRA4Life's friend, Mike, unloading stuff from their SUV. The rest are here. I was going to put them on Bandit's PGBBQ 2012 Facebook page, but FB is giving me a problem today. Not sure why. So if it's ok with everyone else, I'll just put 'em here.

This first shot is Bandit and a fellow named Bob, who was one of the church volunteers, trying to figure just how and where they wanted to unload his rig on the green where we were setting up.

PGBBQ121.jpg

Bob and Bandit again. We were all amazed and jealous of Bandit's set up. His rig is fixed with a winch that slowly lets his rig down the ramp, and sets it there on the ground so everyone can just come and roll into place. Very nice!

PGBBQ122.jpg

This is Kevin, aka NRA4Life, getting things ready in his trailer. He also had a very sweet set up with the rig at the back of the trailer where you had access to it, so you didn't need to unload it. Also very nice!

PGBBQ123.jpg

This is another one of the church volunteers helping to get the stuff unloaded from pigman's trailer. I think his name was Bob, too. Seemed like we had a bunch of Bobs, and every time some yelled "hey Bob!" the whole crowd would turn around and say, "yeah, what?" So, Bandit told everyone, "just call me Bandit", but then we'd yell "hey Bandit!" and he wouldn't look up until you said "hey Bob!". lol In his defense, Bandit was really busy. He was like the energizer bunny. Just couldn't stop. :smile:

PGBBQ124.jpg

Here's Bandit, Bob (volunteer), and Roger (pigman) rolling Bandit's rig into place.

PGBBQ125.jpg

Bandit, Bob, and Roger.

PGBBQ126.jpg

Here the guys started taking all the coolers off the back of Bandit's truck. He had four 4 ft coolers stuffed with pork butts to be cooked for the church. That's Bandit on the right. Not sure who's on the left. I need help naming a lot of the folks who where there. Don't know if he was a volunteer or a farker. :smile:

PGBBQ127.jpg

And another cooler. Those coolers were heavy! There were 66 pork butts prepared to donate to the church. Somebody thanked Bandit for getting them donated, but I know they weren't donated. Bandit paid for them, and kept saying the "cost was taken care of". If I know Bandit, that means the cost was taken care of by him. Not sure if others were trying to chip in later to help defray the cost, or not, but I'm fairly sure Bandit shouldered the bulk of the load. If this guy isn't made the official Brethren ambassador, then somebody ought to put him up for sainthood. He worked just about non-stop from the time he pulled his rig up at noon on Saturday, until he pulled out again at noon on Sunday. From what I saw, no way would this event have happened without him. Just sayin'. Doubt you could find anyone who'd disagree. :smile:

PGBBQ128.jpg

Lining up all the coolers under the canopy. That's Kevin's friend, Mike, on the left and Bandit on the right. My blue chair is in the background, and if you look sharp, my dog Nikki (aka "Winkie" lol) is sitting there by the chair. Nikki and Bandit's little Buddy were both with us, and boy did they eat good! :wink:

PGBBQ129.jpg

This is a shot of Roger's (pigman) rig in the foreground, and Kevin's (NRA4Life) trailer in the background. Very nice equipment. :grin:

PGBBQ1210.jpg

Here's all the coolers lined up around the edges under the canopy next to Roger's trailer. You can just see the back of Bandit's truck with the tailgate down, and Kevin's trailer beyond that. If you look sharp, you can just see Kevin's smoker up on the back of his trailer. These guys all had amazing set ups. :wink:

PGBBQ1211.jpg

Here's a shot of Bandit's smoker. Sitting on the shelf is a little miniature of his smoker. It was so cool! And it actually works!! :shocked:

PGBBQ1212.jpg

Close-up of the little smoker. So cute! :grin:

PGBBQ1213.jpg

This is Maddie. She's Hogbreath's daughter. Harbormaster is her uncle. She was there representing the Wyocena Yacht Club for her Uncle Clark. :smile:

PGBBQ1214.jpg

Here's a bunch of the guys helping to move Pat's new smoker. Pat, aka as "Matchlight", hadn't even smoked in it yet. He had only got it the night before. :grin:

PGBBQ1215.jpg

Another shot of Pat's smoker. Pristine. Just couldn't wait to get that baby fired up and get her dirty. :smile:

PGBBQ1216.jpg

Roger's weed burner came in very handy, and was being passed all around to make everyone's job a little easier. Here, Kevin has borrowed it to get things going on another little smoker.

PGBBQ1217.jpg

This is Pat's smoker again. He'd been heating it up, when someone noticed the wheels were starting to smoke. He stuck some foil in there to protect the wheel, and a couple pieces of wood to try and block the heat.

PGBBQ1218.jpg

The first wheel was worse, but he decided to stick some wood by the other wheel, too, to make sure the heat was blocked there, as well.

PGBBQ1219.jpg

Yep, that weed burner made the rounds, and got a work out. Here, Roger's using it to get another fire going. Thing worked great, and drew a crowd every time somebody used it. :smile:

PGBBQ1220.jpg

Group shot holding the Bandit's Brethren banner. I don't think there was a friendlier place anywhere on the face of the planet last Saturday night. Everyone was welcome, everyone pitched in and helped, and everyone had the time of their lives. Best group event I've ever been to, hands down. And hey... you couldn't beat the eats. :smile:

PGBBQ1221.jpg

I have more pictures, but I'll put them up a little later. Taking a break to go eat dinner. More later! :smile:

Last edited:
Uncle Clark is very happy to see his beautiful niece wearing a WYC hat!

I can't stop thinking though, how much better the food would have been if my WSMs were there.

The world may never know!

So come on people, whe got fed Saturday night? Did any of the locals stumble in through the course of the night and get saved? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanx for the pics Tish...

Just for the record... the Church did pay for the pork.

Since we have such a large geographic range... it was just using the better strategy on who can find the better price and volume.

Just a matter of where, who, how much, at what price, and how to get it here/there.

Harbormaster, believe it or not, Dayton's finest never showed. We called the dispatcher twice, but nothing. Maybe next year we will have to call 911!

Back