New to BBQ, got a new Lang, entering my 1st comp, need advice!

snyper77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm pretty green. I have to turn in my entry fee of $150 (which I thought was steep for a backyard division) by March 24. I recently bought a Lang 60 deluxe with 40" chargrill.

Here's a few questions please:

1. I'm in Alabama and I'm a Roll Tide fan. Would I be breaking a copyright if I called my team "Roll Tide BBQ"?
  2. I'm going to borrow a few tables....but do I need to purchase one of those EZ UP tents? Any other "decor"??
  3. Is it wise to prep all my meat the night before, immediately after meat inspection? (Backyard div. is only doing ribs and chicken)
  4. Any and all advice is appreciated. Anything I need to watch out for that can really ruin my day quickly?
  5. Since I have two cookers mounted on my Lang trailer, would you use the smoker for the ribs and the chargrill for the chicken? Or just cook them both at 275 on the smoker?
  6. I plan on doing cupcake chicken. Any tips on crisping the skin or don't worry about that?
  7. Ribs - any tips on cutting them uniform and pretty??? Last time I tried to slice ribs, I hit bones over and over and made a mess of the cut. Advice?
  8. Here's a link to all the info about the contest: http://www.cityofgadsden.com/Default.asp?ID=58&action=view&nid=212
Thanks!

Wow, sounds like you like to dive right into the deep end of the pool before learning how to swim.

Good luck.

CD

As the title says, I'm pretty green. I have to turn in my entry fee of $150 (which I thought was steep for a backyard division) by March 24. I recently bought a Lang 60 deluxe with 40" chargrill.

Here's a few questions please:

1. I'm in Alabama and I'm a Roll Tide fan. Would I be breaking a copyright if I called my team "Roll Tide BBQ"?
Might check and see if a team is already using that name, if not use it.

1. I'm going to borrow a few tables....but do I need to purchase one of those EZ UP tents? Any other "decor"??
You need a shelter of some kind, seems like anytime i go to a comp it rains

1. Is it wise to prep all my meat the night before, immediately after meat inspection? (Backyard div. is only doing ribs and chicken)
That would be up to organizer, but if allowed i would pre-trim all meats before arriving.

1. Any and all advice is appreciated. Anything I need to watch out for that can really ruin my day quickly?
Watch out for BBQ Gremlins... and Judge 5 he ruins my day most of the time.

1. Since I have two cookers mounted on my Lang trailer, would you use the smoker for the ribs and the chargrill for the chicken? Or just cook them both at 275 on the smoker?
I would cook both in the lang, no need it trying to monitor two temps, especially if its your first time out.

1. I plan on doing cupcake chicken. Any tips on crisping the skin or don't worry about that?
You can have crispy skin or bite through skin, go for bite through, by the time judges get your entry the crispy skin is soggy and rubbery.

1. Ribs - any tips on cutting them uniform and pretty??? Last time I tried to slice ribs, I hit bones over and over and made a mess of the cut. Advice?
Cut from the bone side and then sauce, thats what we do...

1. Here's a link to all the info about the contest: http://www.cityofgadsden.com/Default.asp?ID=58&action=view&nid=212
Looks like a nice payout for the entry fee... almost as good as some pro comps i have been too...

Thanks!

answers in red

I agree, Starting the fire, is a one night read, but a wealth of info. the WATG team made all the mistakes and right moves for us.

I appreciate the input..... I wanted to come up with a team name that signifies that I cook with a wood-fired pit. My wife finally came up with Stick Burner BBQ. Sounds authentic enough, I reckon. :mrgreen:

I cooked there last year and will again this year. Last year as a backyard cook and this one as a pro. Anyway you can go ahead and prep the night before that is what I always do and there was no problem there as the backyard will follow the same rules as the pro side but only cooking ribs and chicken. Feel free to stop tent on Friday and I will try my best to answer what I can for you there, my team is Daddy Gray's.

I would suggest an EZ up, last year it sprinkled a little over night and in the morning and then got pretty hot by 11 or so.

Many different ways to cook chicken, last year I cooked mine on a weber grill and took 1st place there and had not finised out of the top 3 in three previous contest cooking it that way. Then I switched to cooking everything on my off set smoker and took 1st in chicken in my first pro contest, so do what ever is most comfortable for you and produces your best product.

Be prepared to walk a long way to turn-is as the backyard teams are the furthest to the turn-in site took me around 5min to make the walk.

Anything else about the venue that I can answer let me know.

Look at the temperature on your Lang 60. I think you will find that the left side (looking in as the door opens) will be about 50 degrees cooler than the right under the stack. Don't rely on the built in thermometer, it's not right. Go with a couple electronic probes or the Maverick dual probe. Use that to cook chicken on the right and ribs on the left.
On the skin: In prepping I remove the skin and using a paint scraper from Home Depot to scrap the fat from the underside of the skin, then replace for cooking.

• I'm going to borrow a few tables....but do I need to purchase one of those EZ UP tents? Any other "decor"??
You need at least one, but I would get two. Don't forget chairs, especially if you are expecting friends and family to drop by.
  • Is it wise to prep all my meat the night before, immediately after meat inspection? (Backyard div. is only doing ribs and chicken)
Yes, prep the chicken and ribs the night before - at least the trimming. You don't need rub on those overnight.
  • Any and all advice is appreciated. Anything I need to watch out for that can really ruin my day quickly?
Make sure you know the turn in times and rules. Have seen more than one team get a DQ for doing things like a stuffed chicken when the rules don't allow it. Backyard events all have different rules, so be sure you understand yours.

• Since I have two cookers mounted on my Lang trailer, would you use the smoker for the ribs and the chargrill for the chicken? Or just cook them both at 275 on the smoker?
If you have room, one smoker is easier - less stuff to tend. You can cook both at 275, or use the zones on the smoker.
  • I plan on doing cupcake chicken. Any tips on crisping the skin or don't worry about that?
Don't crisp it, braise it. You won't get crispy skin unless you grill it.
  • Ribs - any tips on cutting them uniform and pretty??? Last time I tried to slice ribs, I hit bones over and over and made a mess of the cut. Advice?
Slice them meat side down so you can see the bones, and take your time. Center the knife between the bones, ensuring the knife is parallel to the bones. Racks will not always cook straight - you can fix that when slicing if you are careful.

Back