• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Building a 'Discada'

Ole Man Dan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
One of my off season goals is to build a plow disc type wok.

I'm going to get about a 20" new disc, and weld horseshoe handles on the sides.
I'm going to build one for camping.
I figure to use it on my propane cooker, for breakfast or stir fry meals.
(Center hole is either welded or a blue steel carriage bolt is brazed in place.
There are a few disc out there w/o a center hole, that would be my preference...)

I've had some tasty food fried on a Discada in N.M.
SO
I figure to build my own & Season it like a skillet.

Do any of the Brethren own a 'Discada' ?

Last edited:
Cowgirl is definitely your go to when it comes to cooking on a disc. She had posted several times on her camping trips which I believe is when she uses it the most. I am in the process of doing the same thing myself. I am also ordering a host of woks and cooking implements along with stirfry cookbooks to add to this new cooking adventure. Good Luck with your build. :thumb:

BobBrisket has a vintage one, I believe it is handed down from his father. He uses it a lot.

Do a search for discada and you will find several brethren who have one.

I have a disc wich I usually just put on top of some bricks :becky:

disco.jpg

Never heard of one till now... I like the idea, may have to build one for myself...

Hamiltont, what size disc is that you have there?

Doug

Easy to build hoseshoes look nice but I usually put wooden handles on the one I build

Yep, doing one myself, I'm in farm country here, used disks are free, as well as preffered.
Weld the hole, metal finish, clean, season and go.

There are several threads here on the discada.

Go to the bottom of our main page, type in discada in the Google search bar. It only pertains to this forum.

Wife got me one a few months ago. Unfortunately I have not used it yet. I know a few
Friends/family in new mexico that swear by them.

DO NOT GET A POWDER COATED DISC.
Torch, grinder, put in a fire till the disc warped, angle grinder.

Just a thought!!!!!

I also have done the research and sourced a cheap discada however I have not pulled the trigger yet. Maybe it needs to be a new years resolution perhaps?

I've never seen one of these before. Looks almost like a big, flatter wok. Bet it would come in really handy if you were cooking for a crowd. Very interesting. :-o

I have a 26" I built a few years ago. It gets a work out every year at the midwest Brethren Bash! This year we deep fried anything that wasn't attached to the tables!

I've got one. It usually gets used for cooking breakfast over a propane burner.

Back