UDS barrel

P

pinky

So here is a picture of a well water tank that I have gotten for free.

uds.jpg

Thinking it would make a good smoker, but need some help as this is a first attempt!!

the barrel is about 33" high (not counting legs), or 26" for the straight side of the barrel, and around 25" diameter.

My first question is do you think this is going to be tall enough to get even one grill in. From reading this forum, the magic number between charcoal and cooking grate has to be about 24", so if my charcoal grate is 6" that only gives me 3" of cooking space which would be well into the curved lid of the dome.

would I be better adding an extension onto the tank, after cutting the lid off?

Another question is what diameter should the exhaust pipe be, and is it ok coming out of the middle? There is a small hole here which I will be able to expand.

Thanks for your help in these first questions, of which there will be many in the coming weeks!!!

Pinky

I knew I was hanging on to my old pressure tank for a reason. I'll watch this thread.

Actually it will work just fine, the 24" is just a number that someone came up with, look at all of the smokers, (WSM, char-broiler, master forge) that have less than 24" of space between the fire and the grates. They cook just the same but have a tendency to have a hot spot right in the center over the hot coals so a heat diffuser is a great idea in these smaller ones to remove that hot spot. As for the exhaust I would use something in the 2" range and putting it in the middle is no problem, just helps with it in the middle and a diffuser plate it will reduce hot spots and keep you from having to rotate the lid or the food partly through the cook.

If you could find another tank like that, you would be golden.

i'd be a little cautious with that tank. most all water tanks like that in my neck of the woods are made of galvanized steel.

I think that you could make a fine UDS type smoker out of that. I've put together drum smokers that did not jive with the standard dimensions and they be fine. If you could extend it, you could add a grate, if not, so what. My only problem is the lid. If you cut nice and use the top for a lid, it's a gonna be heavy. You could hinge it though. I am so looking forward to your build.

So here is a bit of an update.

I got this from my Dads farm, and went for a bit of a look, and jave found another one that looks to be the same size, so I will be able to make it to a size that would be perfect... what do you guys think a perfect length would be, to get a good distance from the coals to avoid a hot spot, and also to get two cooking grates in.

These tanks have a rubber bladder in them, which is then pressurized to push water around the system, and they are just steel, so no galvanizing except for a plate on the bottom, about 9" diameter which is gonna need welded up... unless... could i bring my air intakes in from the bottom, or would there be too much ash etc falling into them and blocking them.

The lid will be quite heavy, but I think I will just make it hinged (if my hand is steady enough)

One last question for this time: how good a seal will there need to be around the lid? does it have to be really good, and if I have cut the steel, have you any suggestions as to how this could be achieved?

Thanks again for your help

Pinky

Back