Tandoori Leg of Lamb & Naan in BGEs

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For the Far East Throwdown, I prepared Tandoori Leg of Lamb and some Naan bread.

The Leg of Lamb is a Steven Raichlen recipe that I found here and the recipe for Naan came from the Big Green Egg Cookbook.

Ingredients for the lamb marinade:
IMG_0118.jpg

Onto the Small BGE:
IMG_0121.jpg

Almost there:
IMG_0124.jpg

Shooting for 140 IT:
IMG_0129.jpg

and verifying with the trusty Thermapen:
IMG_0128.jpg

pulled and placed on a bed of onions and cilantro:
IMG_0140.jpg

Earlier I'd made the dough for the Naan:
IMG_0120.jpg

and was baking it in the XL BGE as the lamb was finishing up & resting:
IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

onto the platter:
IMG_0151.jpg

and sliced:
IMG_0165.jpg

As for how it all came out... The Naan was pretty tasty but if you'd have given it to me and didn't tell me it was Naan, I wouldn't have known as it didn't look or taste quite like Naan I'd had in Indian restaurants. The lamb smelled incredible and the flavor on the outer parts was there but my wife & found the flavor didn't penetrate into the meat like we'd hoped (despite a 16 hr marinade and pushing the marinade into 1" slits in the meat).

Overall, a little disappointing but I tried something new for me and I don't regret that. That's what I like about the Throwdowns, they push me to try things I otherwise likely wouldn't.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Mate that is beautifully cooked. Seriously good!!
If I can help, let me make a few suggestions.
That naan recipe is too heavy and the naan too doughy I think buddy.

For tandoori, you want to use small pieces because the idea is to have great amounts of surface area and little frilly bit all charred and get that every bite.
That large piece means you just can't get the intensity of flavor.

With marinades, they will not penetrate more that 1/3 of a centimetre.
No matter what anybody says, that is it.
I cannot tell you how over western chefs doing other cultures food in new cheffie ways that get them noticed and sell books...and I am not just talking about Mr Raichlen but almost ALL of them.:rolleyes:
Don't give up tandoori mate, try it again but the way people have done it for 5,000 years.
There is a bloody good reason they haven't changed it!:-D

The lamb looks absolutely brilliant, cooked perfectly and the marinade is making my mouth water!

Agree completely regarding the naan - just from the photos I'd sugest it needs to be thinner, with more bubbles and a bit chewier; I'm sure it was tasty though! Try working it a bit thinner and cook it as hot as is possible without damaging the egg. There's loads of Indian and Bangladeshi restaurants near where I live and those tandoors are ridiculously hot - about 900 F - with the naans are placed straight onto the side above the heat. Total cooking time is no more than a minute or so. Try brushing a little salted butter over the naan at the end as well.

Beautiful. Since I've got a leg of lamb laying around, I'll try that after Thanksgiving.

R2egg2Q--That looks outstanding! I love lamb ! Don't want to hijack thread , but my wife refuses to eat lamb. Could that marinade be used on any other cut of meat?:icon_blush:

Concerning the naan recipe from the big green egg cookbook,
TO make it thinner, is that a matter of rolling out a bit more or adding a little more liquid to thin out the batter/dough?
I have been wanting to try to make some naan and this might get me started.
jon

R2egg2Q--That looks outstanding! I love lamb ! Don't want to hijack thread , but my wife refuses to eat lamb. Could that marinade be used on any other cut of meat?:icon_blush:

I would think the marinade would be fine on other meats, particularly chicken.

Concerning the naan recipe from the big green egg cookbook,
TO make it thinner, is that a matter of rolling out a bit more or adding a little more liquid to thin out the batter/dough?
I have been wanting to try to make some naan and this might get me started.
jon

This was my first attempt at making naan. The recipe says to make 1/2 thick discs which i thought was too thick so I rolled them down to 1/4-3/8 inch and I still think it was too thick. If I try this recipe again I'll definitely try to get it thinner.

Back