NonSanctioned "rules?"

K

kcquer

Finally got the details on the municipal contest I'm cooking in saturday.

You can turn in whatever you want (multiple meats allowed, or anything else I guess) on or in whatever you want, garnished or not. Keep the size of you turning platter "within reason".

I'm cooking a little of everything to feed co-workers, family and friends. What do I turn in? Still planning on cooking the stuffed pork loin, can't decide what I should add to it if anything?

There's always the guessing game of what the judges are looking for, but this leaves a huge amount of guessing.

Suggestions?

E, The stuffed pork loin is a winner in my opinion. How about useing pulled pork instead of lettuce for garnish, as suggested today in another thread? Some nice shiny glazed butt would look pretty appetizing. maybe a little green (lettuce) around the edge for contrast. A few nice bright red slices of radish may help. The McMasters is talking now, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Kevin

Re: RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

Kevin said:
Some nice shiny glazed butt would look pretty appetizing.

:shock:

Do not hijack... do NOT hijack!!!

I agree with everything Kevin said!

RE: Re: RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

I'm cooking brisket, butt, ribs and wings to feed the masses. Think I'll stay somewhat flexible and go with what turns out best, having the stuffed loin as a intended primary on the turn in platter.

Was once told by a wise ol' fart, "think long, think wrong". Stuffed loin was my first reaction to "anything goes", gonna ride that piggy wherever it might take me :wink:

Re: RE: Re: RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

kcquer said:
I'm cooking brisket, butt, ribs and wings to feed the masses. Think I'll stay somewhat flexible and go with what turns out best, having the stuffed loin as a intended primary on the turn in platter.

Was once told by a wise ol' fart, "think long, think wrong". Stuffed loin was my first reaction to "anything goes", gonna ride that piggy wherever it might take me :wink:

Talking in your sleep again?

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

I agree with 'Cracker - go with what you do best and what turns out - personally, I'd garnish the heck out of it. Take a couple of apples, orange, etc. along with demon lettuce and parsley.

Since it's unsanctioned and basically "no rules" make it look real purddy! :D Glaze the heck out of the chicken.

personally, I'd garnish the heck out of it. Take a couple of apples, orange, etc. along with demon lettuce and parsley.

Since it's unsanctioned and basically "no rules" make it look real purddy! Glaze the heck out of the chicken.
Came to me today while I was working, that this open presentation thing might be where to really kick some arse. Nice variety, impressive presentation might get you at least half way home. If I can get all my crap ready, this is gonna be a lot of fun!!

How'd Your Contest Go, Scott?

How'd the contest go, Scott? Haven't seen a report yet...

Re: RE: Re: RE: NonSanctioned "rules?"

kcquer said:
having the stuffed loin as a intended primary on the turn in platter.

Someone told me these were very good. :wink:

Placed 6th out of 21 teams (no joke Kick :wink: ) just out of the money and prizes. Turned in pulled pork and 2 of the finest slabs of Baby Backs I ever cooked. Couldn't find loins so the stuffed loin mod will have to wait for next year.
Fed spectators, family, co-workers and friends, had an awesome time. Got a good run thru on a real event, forgot a couple of minor things that would have been nice to have but had all the essentials.
FE ran great on the inverter, have that test out of the way now, I know I have a setup for power I can count on.

After the contest was awful, the borrowed from work truck broke down on the way home. Didn't get home til near 2am. Had an awful time transfering all the gear from the truck to a trailer and pickup the next day. Dropped the FE and the BSKD off the liftgate (parked on slope mod), both survived, minor scratches on both, one bent handle on the SKD and the tiles are completely trashed now.
All in all, was a great time despite the difficulties afterward. The Mrs had a great time, told me as we were prepping for bed saturday night, "we gotta do a real KCBS event now, we're ready". Great that she's enthused, but she's more confident than I am. Me I just want to rest up, and practice over the winter. Need more work with the FE on a couple things, and need to get a WSM to cook chicken on so transportation of cookers isn't so much an issue.
Wish y'all could have come. We have some pics which I'll try to post sometime this week. Working OT still (mandatory 48 this week) so might be next weekend before I get to it.

I didn't tell a soul..........I waited for you.....

I still think you did a great job and am real proud of your performance. What you didn't tell them is most of the teams didn't show until noon-3PM and only cooked chicken and/or ribs.....you cooked the whole gamut.......on three cookers......that was impressive....

Good showing! Glad to hear the wife is interested - that helps! :D

I had jokingly told Brother Kick that I was claiming 6th place as they only gave results for 5th and better at the awards, well I got ahold of the full results today and we did finish 6th!! For a first solo effort I was really pleased. I've had the benefit of seeing class act teams do things right and wasn't unprepared. Knew all the gimme cooking would be a distraction, but freebies bring folks thru the gate and the gate benefitted children's charities so was glad to do it.
Keeping 3 cookers going most of the day was a challenge but a fun one at that. Was a huge variety of cookers, eggs, treagers, big offsets, one vintage Fast Eddy everything you can imagine.
Met lots of folks from very experienced cooks to just started rookies, every one wanted to know about the FE. Had 3 different people call it a refrigerator :roll: , had to explain many times that it isn't an electric smoker, Eddy was a great way to meet people if nothing else.
Invited several folks to the site, hope some of them stop by for a visit.
Compliments on the food were plentiful and greatly appreciated. Was a great first foray into solo competition. Looking forward to the next event next spring.

Great job, Scott! Impressive results! So why wait until spring? Why don't you give Kearney a shot? There's also a final KCBS event of the year locally over in DeSoto, Kansas a couple of weeks after the Royal. I'm planning on doing that contest also if the Royal goes fairly well. Figured I'm better off getting in two contests this year before the long layoff.

Good Job Scott.

"Solo" has got to be a bear to do!
Only "upside" to Solo that I can see is "no arguing among the team members" and "no splitting of winnings" :lol: :lol:

Proud of you.

TIM

Damn, Tim... I didn't think of that! Now if I win anything in contests, I'll have to split the winnings with the OL???? Crap! Stupid, stupid, stupid!

So why wait until spring?
Dear Hare, I don't believe in going off half cocked and semi prepared. I'm only 60 days on a new cooker and am just not ready. Competeing is too expensive financially and physically tiring to bother with a half baked effort. When I roll up to my first KCBS event, I'll be properly prepared, have my priorities straight, and know what I'm doing, so I can represent the Brethren in the best possible manner.
sincerly, Tortise.

Back