• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS event by yourself can it be done?

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I have a comp next month. My 1st KCBS by the way, anyway my friend who helps sometimes can not make it that weekend. My question is can this be pulled off okay with just me there?

You bet. My son was with me this weekend and ran my boxes, but I am a one man show.

Key is to have everything organized and a solid timeline.

For your first contest? Alone? Technically, yes. In reality, don't try it (IMHO). Ask for help on this board.

For your first contest? Alone? Technically, yes. In reality, don't try it (IMHO). Ask for help on this board.

The coking I think I will be okay with (I hope!!). But a box runner would be great if I could find one. Ask for help on the board? That would awesome if a fellow Brethren could lend a hand on Sept 23 - 24 in Owensboro Kentucky.

I've done 5 contests this year and do all the prep/cooking myself, I've been lucky enough to have someone show up on saturdays to run my boxes, I could do it myself at most events, but if the turn in was very far it would be a little tough.

My first GC was totally by myself. Just get a game plan and keep things simple. Not hard to do.

What Podge said. Mine are solo as well (25+), except the couple of times a year that we vend.

I agree with Dan... wouldn't want to try it for your first event - there's enough to think about already without the added stress.

I've been a one man show since the beginning. I have 20 something son, who was physically present, but found a tent where the copious amonts of liquor flowed all night at the first one.

Its alot of work but doable. And each one gets easier as you get more organized.

All that being said, I've often wished I had a partner to lighten the load.

It's doable, but have a very specific plan that you follow so you don't get behind. And definitely a box runner would be helpful, but if you don't have one you'll live. If you are on your own and the event will be a bit spread out you might let the organizer know you are on your own and see if there is a chance they'll make sure you get a spot setup a bit closer to the judging turn in.

I was thinking about trying some competitions next year. My wife said she would come along, but due to health, I would being doing about 96%.
This and no experience sometimes get me thinking it may not be worth the effort. Participating to me would be more for excitement and fun, not so much about winning and being a one man gang, busting butt, might take this away.

Ive done it and ran my own boxes. The way things are looking I will doing it again this weekend. So glad my spot is close th judging area

The coking I think I will be okay with (I hope!!). But a box runner would be great if I could find one. Ask for help on the board? That would awesome if a fellow Brethren could lend a hand on Sept 23 - 24 in Owensboro Kentucky.

Depending on where your spot is, turn-ins in Owensboro can be a bit of a walk. I know someone who ran his own boxes at Owensboro but if I were you I would see if I could find someone to run the boxes. If you can't, definitely see if they can put you as close to the turn-in location as possible

I am no expert at the Royal. I assisted the Smoking Scotsmen and at a fast walk it was around 5.5 minutes from our spot to turn in.
That did not include the bicycle race 2 years ago that slowed us up for a while during their finish.

There were a lot of folks who were much farther away than us.........just saying.

I am a one man show and have the physique of BBQ Small if you catch my drift and have no problems doing it at all. Sometimes it is nice to have someone taking care of the turn ins but for me it is enjoyable doing it alone.

The one tip I can add to the list is do as much as possible at home before you get there. That includes making rubs, making injections, making marinades, trimming all meat, and even making your boxes (Diva Q's method) if you want to party a little on Friday night.

After I unload on friday, I probably have about 15 mins of work (injecting meat) until I need to actually start preparing to cook around 10:30pm. That gives me several hours to socialize and watch others work. :heh:

I am a one man show and have the physique of BBQ Small if you catch my drift and have no problems doing it at all. Sometimes it is nice to have someone taking care of the turn ins but for me it is enjoyable doing it alone.

The one tip I can add to the list is do as much as possible at home before you get there. That includes making rubs, making injections, making marinades, trimming all meat, and even making your boxes (Diva Q's method) if you want to party a little on Friday night.

After I unload on friday, I probably have about 15 mins of work (injecting meat) until I need to actually start preparing to cook around 10:30pm. That gives me several hours to socialize and watch others work. :heh:
What is the Diva Q's method...the link doesn't open.???

What is the Diva Q's method...the link doesn't open.???

If this doesn't work go to divaq.ca and scroll to the bottom for the search bar and type in "making parsley turn in boxes in advance". The blog you want is the second one down. Enjoy!

http://divaq.ca/making-parsley-turn-in-boxes-in-advance-the-putting-green

I am now making my boxes the weekend before the next comp. I throw them in the fridge and never look at them again until i get to the contest. I would much rather make boxes at home catching up on TV than spending a couple of hours at the comp.

For the last few events I have competed in I did all the cooking and prep however, I did have help setting up the heavy stuff and to run the boxes. Bigmista hasn't chimed in but I know for a fact that he has done a comp by himself and with no runners.

As long as you manage your time by doing things like the meat trimming and doing your boxes prior to the comp you are good to go.

Oh yes.....
I do all the work,
wife takes all the credit

Back