I need a slicer and a grinder

Slicer

I can't speak about the grinder but I have that model of slicer. I slice on a weekly baisis........bacon, roast beef, vegetables, etc. and I love it. I especially like the fact that you can completely break it down for cleaning. I have never had a problem with overheating, etc. when I give mine a workout.

Not sure on slicers, I have a cabelas one and it works ok, definitely not a hobart. As for a grinder I have a cabelas 3/4 hp grinder that will do what I need and a lot more. I have a family of 7 and hunt also so it get's used a lot.

I can't speak about the grinder but I have that model of slicer. I slice on a weekly baisis........bacon, roast beef, vegetables, etc. and I love it. I especially like the fact that you can completely break it down for cleaning. I have never had a problem with overheating, etc. when I give mine a workout.

Thanks for that feedback. The #1 complaint on the amazon reviews of this product is that its a PITA to clean.

Here is a great one. You can workout the guns at the same time.

manual_meat_grinder.jpg

Clean

We used to have Deli's and had expensive Hobart Slicers and I'll tell you EVERY slicer is a PITA to clean.......The food inspector visited them FIRST on his inspections.

Thanks for that feedback. The #1 complaint on the amazon reviews of this product is that its a PITA to clean.

I've got this one.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_36989_36989

I can tell you it kicks ass. No complaints and I've used it close to 30 times.

What's weird that it appears to be the same as this one, but the one on the link below is 30 bucks less. :confused:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

This one wins. I'm gonna go pick one up tomorrow... I'm still up in the air about the slicer. I might have to look into that one a little deeper...

20110614_Grinder_0237.jpg

I finally got around to giving the Kitchener meat grinder a whirl yesterday... I used it to grind up some dark meat chicken for some chicken salad.... worked like a champ!

I've been looking at getting a grinder & slicer as well. Are those of you with the Kitchenaid grinder attachment happy with it for small purposes? I don't hunt or anything, so I wouldn't be grinding huge amounts at a time. I'd mainly use it for sausage making and grinding my own burgers.

As others have said, it's good for doing a few lbs at a time. I enlisted the help of my wife, as i would put in the chunks of meat she would use the plunger to push in down.

Tod

To me the line is drawn on slicers by whether they have a built-in sharpener, quality manual and parts support. To me that means buying an old commercial slicer and reconditioning it. I've been rebuilding machine tools as a hobby since the '80s anyway, how hard can a slicer be?

Anyway, to skip ahead, I bought a Globe 725L off craigslist locally for $200. The guy was a bozo who thought you lubricated everything with vegetable oil (which dries GUMMY) so it was not only pretty marginally working in manual mode only, but completely filthy. But that's a screaming deal for a 12" commercial slicer, so I started working on it. Along the way I bought the carcass of a Globe 825L so I could take it apart and learn how to do it, since there is no service manual in existence for those machines. Anyway, I'm getting close to being done and still haven't spent any more money on the 725L, just a bunch of time. But the autofeed works perfectly now, and the outside of the machine is clean and shiny.

Anyway, I would skip all those little Chinese slicers and simply hunt for a complete (make sure it has all the parts 'cuz replacement parts are *really* expensive) commercial slicer.

In my area there's an automatic Hobart 1712 missing one foot and missing the meat carriage, which the guy has listed for $399 but I'm certain he'd take $200 and maybe a lot less.

Of course, big commercial slicers are, well, big. They weigh like 140 pounds and occupy about the same volume of space as a 19" CRT television from the '80s. Big.

seattlepitboss

I was going to recommend the Kitchen Aid with attachments. There are always used ones on CL. Speaking of CL, check the business section for a slicer. I picked up a commercial slicer in very good condition for $125. It retails for $1700.

I got one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...67?cm_sp=Upsells-_-Top Sellers-_-Product Page just last week. I haven't had time to use it yet but, I plan to do so this weekend. It replaced the Northern Tool branded item. Same thing actually with maybe slight improvements if any.
I have a Cabela's 3/4 hp for big jobs but, wanted something better than the Kitchenaid for grinding my own beef(burgers). I got mine practically free using points I had accumulated. Check Amazon.com for their prices. Gotta consider shipping too.

Back