Turn in box advice (prons included)

Untraceable

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Took a shot at making a turn in box this weekend for an upcoming ribfest comp. Looking for suggestions to help. I dont consider this perfect by any means so Im looking for honest constructive suggestions and I have a few questions.

1. How do you keep parsley from sticking to your ribs? Do you not sauce the underside in an effort to eliminate it?

and the comp requires 7 ribs. my rib size varied as I went down the rack. for the top and bottom ribs, Should I attempt to take the best ribs from another rack instead of trying to take 7 from one?

267329_152924154782558_139456032796037_316743_2834133_n.jpg

I am pretty sure they make 2 -3 racks and take the best uniform ribs... I don't know for sure. You might want to check out the competition thread and ask in there. Those guys are serious business about competition.

What are the rules on garnish for this comp? If they are following KCBS rules then you are only allowed leaves of green lettuce, parsley or cilantro. Is that spinach in there?

As far as parsley sticking, it's sometimes hard to prevent. Most judges will pick it off, but some will eat it along with the rib.

Mod Note: I'm going to move this to Competition. You'll get more responses there.

That was lettuce from my garden cut off the ends. this comp is not a KCBS comp. Unsanctioned County fair ribfest.

7. Garnish is limited to chopped, sliced, or whole leaf green lettuce/kale/parsley. Garnish is not considered
part of the judge’s score. Only meat and above listed garnish is allowed in container. No toothpicks,
skewers, foil, side containers of sauce, foreign material, or stuffing is allowed. Any non approved​
garnishes will result in a score of 2 for appearance.

Use several racks to get more uniform ribs, unless you have a qulaity problem and absoultely think you're best ribs are from one rack. Generally I won't sacrafice the quality for the appearence of even looking ribs, but that's your call. The parsley is usually picked off. For ways to not make it stick I'm the worng guy to ask.

just a thought, the knife might be plenty sharp, but the ribs overcooked(by KCBS standards, maybe intentional on the cooks part).

I used a razor sharp Kershaw Filet knife. the problem came when Id hit some bark. Thinking about using my 14" slicer next time.

Being that this is a non KCBS (and totally rookie judges), Im shooting for the most tender ribs without falling apart. after eating them, its hard to argue them being totally over cooked.

Im glad Im getting this practice in. Its one thing to make good ribs, I now see its a complete farking mess to make a great box.

1. How do you keep parsley from sticking to your ribs? Do you not sauce the underside in an effort to eliminate it?

Don't use it. I've moved to using only green leaf and didn't receive any comment cards saying "parsley leaves an off taste...." from the parsley police at our last comp.

If it is an unsanctioned contest with non-certified judges it is a total gamble. Just make it look as pretty as possibe with anything that looks good -- all bets are off. From the studies I've read on mass market barbeque sales you're best off to go sweet and heavy on the sauce and make it as red as possible. Overcook until almost falling off bone.

One thing I notice that hasn't been mentioned (I don't think) is that the back rib seems to have sauce dripping down it. Make sure that if you have the side of a rib exposed like that you are either more careful to ensure that there are no drips, or you coat the whole side of the rib with sauce.

I don't do competitions but I do judge for the FBA here in Florida. I have seen guys that cut their ribs with electric knives that cut real clean and easy. You might want to borrow/buy one.

We usually trim 2-3 bones off the end of of each rack (more often than not they're a bit overcooked) and use the center ribs for turn-in. Almost always taking from two racks, but sometimes you get lucky. Also - just a thought - but it looks to me like you could build your box a little higher so the meat is resting on top of your garnish instead of being surrounded by it.

Last edited:
Try to make every rib identical to the others in the box. Since this is a "non-sanctioned" event with "non-CBJs", I would overcook the ribs so that the meat practically falls off the bone. Most "people" like ribs that way - even though you won't walk in a sanctioned contest like that.

HAVE FUN!!!

Also - just a thought - but it looks to me like you could build your box a little higher so the meat is resting on top of your garnish instead of being surrounded by it.

the old man was back seat BBQin' and built up the garnish around the side which I though made it looked burried.

Might try another box this weekend with green lettus only and more attention paid to consistant ribs. Costco ribs have been such a crapshoot lately. even after feeling each package (lol) for consistancy, I get packages with 3 different looking racks of ribs.

Since this is a "non-sanctioned" event with "non-CBJs", I would overcook the ribs so that the meat practically falls off the bone. Most "people" like ribs that way - even though you won't walk in a sanctioned contest like that.

HAVE FUN!!!

Yep Ive noted that and its something Im shooting for

If you are buying ribs in 3 packs, then you are best to assume the middle rack is a complete write off for comp purposes. They tend to hide the ugly ones between 2 more decent racks. If you get a good one, then bonus.

Buying in 2 packs, or better yet, single racks is a better option if you can swing it.

My Costco sells spares in packs of 2, so that is what I buy after very careful inspection. People think we are nuts touching every one, but it is worth it since they make money for us.

Back