Suggestions on setting up our trailer...

HarleyGirl14226

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
OK... So we've got a 7 x 14 enclosed cargo trailer and it's basically bare inside (except for the e-track running down each wall, multiple tie downs and removable motorcycle chocks - for our other expensive hobby).

We don't think we want cabinets installed - maybe shelves - but were looking for inexpensive and easy ideas on how to do this. (we're not handy people)

We just want to get everything (boxes and bins of rubs/sauces) up off of the floor and organized so we don't repeat what happened this past weekend - which is basically everything just getting thrown back in in complete chaos (and we're still straightening it out).

Ideas?

I have a 8' long countertop that sits on a frame made from 2x4's with a shelf underneath. It's handy for us to put things under the counter on the shelf and on the floor under the whole thing. I strap it to the wall to E-track and is removed easily with another person.

I don't know if Divemaster will jump in or not, but he took a couple of kitchen cabinets and tied them together and added a counter top and then put the whole thing on wheels. He has storage and a counter-height work surface all in one.

I don't have the pix handy, but I ordered wireframe kitchen shelving, got casters with inflatable tires, and bolted lockable resin bins from home depot onto the wire shelves.

Everything we need at a contest now fits on 2 sets of wheeled shelves. I use cargo straps to attach them to the e track for transport. Unhook em and wheel them out, and we are set up. The longest part of my site setup is putting up the EZUP.

I put pneumatic wheels on the smoker too. You don't want to to use hard plastic casters, they don't work well on grass. I also put a self tapping screw through the corner of each shelf into the post. Wire shelves are designed for lateral movement. Bouncing up and down in transit might make them come loose, but the corner screws prevent that.

It's a really easy setup, people have commented on it. I am traveling right now, but can upload pix later.

I use garage cabinets in our trailer. They are elevated about 3 inches off the floor. We also have an 8ft stainless steel table (bought at an auction house) with top shelf that's awesome for keeping everything organized and the folding tables fit underneath with more room for totes.
We also got an inexpensive full size fridge from Lowes. This saves a lot of money on ice etc. If you take the bottom bin out of the fridge a large black bus bin fits in perfectly with all our comp meat at the bottom so no chance to drip on anything else.

If you can visit a Habitat for Humanity restore. Often they have many things that are great for comp trailers. Some of their items just have minor dings in them etc. We got our inexpensive laminate flooring from them and also a towel bar to hang all of our bungee cords etc on it to keep them organized. Great place to revisit often to check what they have. Counter tops there are super cheap too. (Especially if you are not fussy on color etc)

I went to a Habitat store and found an under the counter cabinet, put it in the front of the trailer. My under the counter fridge went next to it. Then I put a counter top over it.... all the way across the front of the trailer.

I used three of these on the left side of my trailer for storage and ease of finding stuff. After you put up the rail, hang the shelf supports, and then the shelves. I had no problems out of them and would do it again.
http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Or...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

We added a wire shelf from Costco online (***HERE***) in the front of our trailer. Installation was easy...just a few d-rings and a few heavy duty zip ties. Your e-tracks should allow for an easy mounting as well. Here are a few shots of our set up.

SouthPawBBQ009.jpg

SouthPawBBQ012.jpg

SouthPawBBQ013.jpg

THANKS EVERYONE! We've got some great ideas from all of you, now we just have to get them in place before the next comp.

and Sean - we're also lazy besides being not very handy... which is why it's still sitting there... :)

Back