logo

Ok Ok... I broke it in...

StellaBean

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
and honestly, I have NO idea what I'm doing but those were darn tasty burgers and hotdogs. I've only ever grilled on a gas grill and learned to use my smoker by following explicit instructions in a book...

I filled the chimney about 3/4 full and that's all I used. I tossed one small chunk of cherry in the middle and wow did that make a tasty difference. No idea what I'd been missing by grilling on gas.

Hopefully my technique will improve soon enough.

5962643192_0e3ea66211_z.jpg

Great!!! :thumb: You can also put the coals on one side only, that way you have an indirect heat source as well.

Soon your gas grill will be reduced to a chinmey starter for your Weber kettle. Wait till you cook a ribeye steak over some charcoal, the flavor is amazing.

Way to go!!! Yeah, my gasser is good for a chimney starting, sometimes charing some corn on the cob and not much else.

Next time put some Ployboys Bovine Bold on some thick burgers for a crust....so good....

yeah it's just too bad my kids don't appreciate it.... they don't enjoy the smokey flavor. they hated the things I've done on the WSM and my son requested I grill future burgers on the gas grill.... I think I'll ship him off to live with my in laws for awhile. :laugh:

Yaaay! Now you see what you've been missing all of these years. Looks yummy, Jennifer!

My only use for G.A.S.= Gear Acquisition Syndrome

It's a sickness for wanting all of the cool cooking and smoking Gear!

Great!!! :thumb: You can also put the coals on one side only, that way you have an indirect heat source as well.

That's what I do on my kettles. Light a full chimney and get it fully going and then dump it on one side. Then you can use that side for searing and the other side for indirect cooking. For burgers, for example, give them a couple of munites per side over the coals and then move them to the other side and bring them up to your desired internal temp. For steaks, start them on the indirect side until they are around 120 internal and then do a reverse sear over the coals to get a nice crust and color and finish the cooking.

yeah it's just too bad my kids don't appreciate it.... they don't enjoy the smokey flavor. they hated the things I've done on the WSM and my son requested I grill future burgers on the gas grill.... I think I'll ship him off to live with my in laws for awhile. :laugh:

Leave out the wood chunk for a couple of cooks, and then add it back in a little at a time and they will get used to the smoke flavor.

thanks for the tips!!

I tell ya, I'm very glad I found this site... my husband however is torn between mourning the loss of his money and enjoying my "lessons"...

We are eagerly awainting your pr0n! Go Stella, go stella!:dancer:

Back