• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

The most meat I've ever bought [PICS]

inv3ctiv3

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Got "hired" to cook for a huge party on Sunday and went to pick up the order of (2) 16lb Pork Shoulders and (1) 12lb Brisket. All of it is excel choice so it's good, I've never cooked shoulders this big (I think the biggest was 12lbs) so we'll see how this goes. I'm thinking of just doing both shoulders in my 18.5" WSM and the brisket in my new UDS, do you think 32lbs is too much for a 18.5" WSM?

Thanks!

263681_615003448014_201303364_33467943_775253_n.jpg

I don't have one but I think it would be tough to fit all that in an 18.5" WSM

I don't have a diffuser on the UDS which kind of scares me because the fat will drop and cause flares ups....

Good luck and have fun!:cool: I agree it could all fit, but since you already plan to use the UDS you may as well stick with the plan!:thumb:

I have a lot going on here this week and weekend too. Everybody wants some I guess. Today the wife brought in 2 packers, 2 flats, 3 butts, and will also do some sausage and beans for a party tomorrow. More cooking on Saturday/Sunday too. About to fire up the kettle for some burgers for dinner. So it's a busy backyard out there tonight. I imagine some brethren out there with the big rigs are cooking up a ton of stuff this weekend, more than I could do in my backyard.

Don't best practices require you to do a trialr un on a new piece of equipment before using it on a gig?

Have you cooked on your UDS before? Your comment about flare ups made me wonder. These things dont flare up as long as the lid stays closed. No need for a diffuser on 1 brisket. Only time I use one is if I'm doing a bunch of butts; not to control flare ups though, but to keep from putting the coals out. I have no experience with the WSM 18, but from my cooking butts in my ECB, with that many lbs I would not put water in the pan, their should be enough humidity with the butts alone and the water would just eat up precious fuel.

The package of meats on the left side of the box looks like a two pack of butts, not a shoulder. Is the other package the same? if so, that would make it easier to fit into the WSM. You can do two on each shelf.

Back