Sauce Brisket?

bigjonsBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was just wondering whether most teams sauce their brisket or just slice it and put it in the box? I turned in one brisket last year, only 2 comps, and did horrible. Thanks for any answers on this question!

mostly the drippings from the foil....mixed with just a tad bit of sauce.... 1 cup drippings-1/4 to 1/2 cup sauce...

I soak the slices in foil drippings mixed with just enough sauce to turn the drippings red.

Light sauce is ok...but if you sauce heavily, especially on that front slice, the judges will figure you are covering up a dry brisket. Of course if you are in fact turning in a dry brisket then this may help you, but brisket should taste like cow, not sauce.

in KCBS? "were you one of the idiots that turned in without sauce?" That's what a rep said to me when I questioned my DAL in brisket. Turned out there were 2 of us.

Not what you would consider a "traditional" BBQ sauce, but we do hit it with Our sauce! We do not like sweet on Beef so we go savory!

Never more than a hot drippings soak just before boxing.. I think brisket tastes better sans sauce. Brisket should taste beefy.
We sauce everything else...but a properly cooked brisky doesn't need it.

in KCBS? "were you one of the idiots that turned in without sauce?" That's what a rep said to me when I questioned my DAL in brisket. Turned out there were 2 of us.

Really? We have gotten calls without sauce. I would put some drippings on there though.

For those of you that use drippings. Do you ever wonder if by the time the Brisket hits the judges the fat in the drippings starts to harden and turn your brisket off color and greasy. Or do you some of you separate the fat out?

For those of you that use drippings. Do you ever wonder if by the time the Brisket hits the judges the fat in the drippings starts to harden and turn your brisket off color and greasy. Or do you some of you separate the fat out?

Never been an issue. I practice all my turn-ins with a 30 minute delay between box and taste.

Back