WSM vs GMG Daniel Boones

Bone In

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Have started doing comps and have noticed way more WSM's than GMG's.Thinking about selling my pellet smokers for the WSM's...what would you do?

You're in Northern California. Green Mountain until recently weren't even distributed in Northern California. That might account for you not seeing them much.

What does GMG stand for?

Green Mountain Grills. It is a brand of pellet cooker.

We have cooked all four categories on GMG's for the past year and had pretty good success. There is no way I would trade them for WSM's.

Thanks for your input.. I just noticed so many of them and I have just recently purchased my pellet smoker.. I didn't realize either the quality of meat these guys use.. Kobe briskets and high class shoulders.. Guess I'll have to do half as many comps so I can afford to play on the same playing field..

Cook on what you are comfortable with. If you're already putting out good food on the GMG, give it a shot. Do a few comps with it and see how the food is received. If course, if the judges don't like your food, it may be the recipe and still not the cooker :rolleyes:

I hooked up with a pellet dealer who has let me demo his Louisiana Grills Country Smoker CS-450 and it was the first time I played around with pellets.
He also sells Traeger and Green Mountain Grills, and some of the features on the GMG are pretty sweet, the remote meat probe/hole, digital thermo, low pellet alarm are things I noticed off the bat I could have made use of, add a hopper extension and it would rock all night long!

Not too sure that I am ready to get rid of my WSM's to hit the Dark side yet, but just playing around with pellets was fun and easy.

How many pellet smokers are you using?

Honestly, although we use WSMs, I see plenty of cooks do extremely well with pellet cookers. If you're comfortable with your cooker, why change for the sake of what you see around you? It really does boil down to how well the cook understands his pit, regardless of what that pit is.

Back