Tri-Tip> Sear first or Reverse Sear?

S

SANDBAR

Tri-Tip is indeed my favorite cut of cow and I was unaware of it until a trip out here to Cali a couple years back. Since, I have been working to find that perfect way to cook it... Between pre-slicing then searing on open flame versus smoking whole, the latter has proven the way to go. Now, as a whole Tri-Tip, I'm battling between the "Sear first then smoke to temp" versus this new (to me) "Reverse Sear" method. I have only tried the Reverse Sear once, but WOW!
-45 min (95F internal) at smoky 200F BGE dome temp w/ Iron grate and Platesetter,
-Pulled at 95F and tented while BGE warmed up... meat got to 105 int
-Threw back in at ~500F/Direct on Iron and flipped once waiting for 125 int
Wish I took pictures. Turned out tender and extremely juicy. Best yet.
Any other "Reverse Sear" peoples out there?

I just don't think you can go wrong with either sear method. Try each and see what you think. I still like to go traditional and sear first. To each his/her own!

I just don't think you can go wrong with either sear method. Try each and see what you think. I still like to go traditional and sear first. To each his/her own!

I'm an old schooler myself, I let the color develop on it's own and cook indirect at around 325F. I don't reverse sear. However as Lone Star Mojo said, to each his own.

I see no need to sear a tri-tip, it is awesome without it. I see no benefit to reverse sear, but to each their own.

5557056491_881f4e7761_b.jpg

Searing meat creates the Maillard reaction which gives a wonderful flavor that cannot be duplicated any other way. Searing in the beginning of a cook is commonly thought to "seal in the juices" of a piece of meat, however it has been proven that the opposite is actually true. By searing at the end you get the benefit of the flavors introduced by searing and the meat will stay juicy inside.

For tri-tip I like to smoke low until an internal temp of about 125. Then pull and foil loosely until the temp has peaked and then dropped back down to the 125 level. Then I sear over high heat until I get a nice crust. The internal rises about another 5 degrees. I let it rest again for at least 20 mins and slice just before serving.

Reverse here. Heck, I'm reverse searing almost everything these days.

I put in the smoke until 127, then foil tightly and rest in the cooler 45 mins. Then I reverse sear it, second short rest and slice.

Last edited:
I sear first then cook go indirect until done. I have also done several tri-tips low and slow in the smoker with no sear and they come out great too YMMV.

Seal in the juices (first) = Lock out the flavor

I reverse sear after about two hours of smoke to gain the maillard effect...simple seasonings....evoo rubbed then coarse salt, pepper and rosemary...let rest after taking off grill....happiness ensues.

I always seared first then a secound ser when it reached 125 for 5 minutes. Last night I tried the reverse sear. I was surprised at how uncooked the meat seamed at 125, meaning limpness in the meat ( like a uncooked piece of meat ) Im use to the first sear firming up the meat. I almost thought my thermometer wasnt working right. I ended up cooking the meat a little more than normal. We really like med/rare. I will most likley just reverse sear from now on . I think the first sear is just one more step that can be omitted.

Whether you cook indirect or reverse sear, your meat will be more evenly cooked and juicy vs searing first.

Here's a different take on the reverse sear I wrote for the Brethren magazine - the article starts on page 21:

http://issue4.smokesignalsmagazine.com

I'm going to give this a try...I've never reverse seared anything before...

I smoke my Tri-Tip at around 225 degrees and allow the meat to develop a nice color as Tim puts it. I pull when medium rare, rest and eat. I understand the Maillard Reaction and agree it is needed for bigger bites of meat such as a steak but TT is sliced thin and I just dont feel it needs a sear. That being said, I am a fan of the Reverse Sear on other cuts of beef.

Back