2 Pastrami Questions...

darita

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'd like to cook some pastrami starting from a corned beef point or flat. First, I need a good, simple recipe? Second, which one has more fat to enjoy, point or flat? Third, if I purchase more than one corned beef, do I have to freeze one to save for later or can I just keep it in the fridge, since it's already cured?
Since my childhood, pastrami has been a favorite of mine. My Dad still tells the story about the first time I ordered breakfast on my own...of course I ordered pastrami.

I would buy the point if you want fat.

I would freeze it, even though cured, it just lasts longer. Unless you plan on eating it in a week.

A simple recipe, unwrap it, soak it in a large pot of water for 24 hours, drain at least 3 times. Add peeled potato if you wish to aid in removing salt. Rub with a simple black pepper rub, something like 1/2 black pepper and 1/2 your favorite BBQ rub. Smoke until at least 165F if you are going to steam finish in pressure cooker, or cook until probe tender and then steam to reheat and serve.

I just did two of them. The point definetly has more fat to it but the flat did fine. I debrined mine using potatos and that took out alot of salt. Then just cooked like brisket even used my brisket rub which is peppery to begin with. Cook to 165 then foil and finish till 195ish and let rest for awhile. Slice and enjoy, it was perfect for sammies. I did one for the NKC Contest and my muffaletta sandwich took 8th outta 28th. To me it tastes like hammed beef :)

The point has more fat. I would freeze if you don't plan on cooking for a while, although they should keep in the refrigerator for a while. They should have a use-by date.

Here's the rub I use..

1/2 cup whole black peppercorns
2 TBS coriander seeds
1 tsp each dry mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder

and the cook I did last weekend.. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102545

Thanks! I'll check out Third Eye's website. Can't do a cook for a few days till rain stops. Hopefully, Monday will be pastrami day.

Thanks! I'll check out Third Eye's website. Can't do a cook for a few days till rain stops. Hopefully, Monday will be pastrami day.

That's actually a good thing. Get a good soak to try and leech the salt out (i do the potato route - rough chop of a coupla taters, changed at least daily - it appears to work). Once you smoke it those salt flavors will be very concentrated.

I do a couple of wet pastramis each year, the only difference I use from third eye's style recipe is I use beer in the pressure cooker.

Back