Pulled Pork Chili and Cornbread.

BigButzBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
When I asked my wife what she wanted for dinner the other night, she replied that chili sounded really good. I don't often make chili for two reasons. One, I like very thick chili and my wife makes a thinner very sweet version. Two, I always think chili needs to have heat to it and I'm the only fan of spicy in my house. But, I told her it sounded good so I would see what I could come up with.
To the fridge I went! I was mentally going through the stuff you would fine in standard chili when I came across a bag full of pulled pork that needed to be used up. So that's where I came up with the idea of making Pulled Pork Chili along with some cornbread made from scratch. I have to say I was rather impressed with the results so, I figured I would share the recipe with you all.
mms_picture-1-3.jpg

Pulled Pork Chili:
1lb lean ground beef
2.5lb of pulled pork (unsauced)
3 cans of kidney beans
2 cans of diced tomatoes
2 cans of Cambles Tomato Soup
3/4 cup BBQ Sauce
3-4Tbs of Chili Powder
4 Tsp of Seasoning Salt
1 Tbs of Black Pepper
4 Tbs of Bacon Grease
1/2 Large Onion

Brown up the ground beef with 2 Tbs of Bacon Grease, 1/2 Tbs of Chili Powder, 1 tsp of Seasoning salt, and the 1/2 onion diced up. Throw this into the pot. Now do the same with the pulled pork (I chopped my pulled pork into smaller pieces), except the onion and, toss it into the pot. Next comes the beans, thoroughly drain and rinse them first. Then add the tomatoes, drained as well. Then the Tomato soup goes in, fill up each soup can with water once and dump it in. Add the remaining spices along with the BBQ Sauce. Bring it up to a simmer and leave it at that for a good hour or two before dropping the heat down to low. I let this cook all day and the melding of the flavors will be awesome!

For the Cornbread, I got this recipe idea from my friend Cyndi Allison on twitter who showed me to this site. here
I didn't have exactly all the ingredients so this is what I ended up doing for my cornbread.

1 & 1/4 cup Yellow Cornmeal
3/4 cup all purpose flour.
3 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs Sugar
2 Eggs
2 Tbs Bacon Grease
1 & 1/2 cup Milk
3 Tbs Bacon Grease (goes into the cast Iron pan)

Preheat your oven to 425. Put the 3 Tbs of Bacon Grease into the pan and putt the pan into the oven to heat up. Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl then mix together the wet ingredients in another bowl, then combine the two and stir it quickly just to break up any big lumps, some little ones may remain. Let the batter stand for a few minutes then take the pan out of the oven and pour the batter into it. Place the pan back in the oven and bake 15-20 minutes or until the top starts to brown and a toothpick pulls out clean.

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy these recipes as much as my family did.

wooooow, that is ALOT of chilli my friend. looks great and I will try the recipe, thanks for sharing. minus the beans though.. lol

That all sounds and looks good! Cornbread is my favorite companion for chili!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm... there is a lonely bag of leftover pulled pork in the freezer that was originally intended for pizza toppings...

Great looking recipe Tom, thanks for sharing. :thumb: Now pardon me while I go see if I can sneak that bag of pulled pork into a bowl of red...

Looks good! Did something similar with some left over PP over LABOR day weekend
Made the chili then poured the corn bread batter over it in a dutch oven and baked

Missed you again but the sauce got delivered just fine

Great looking chili and cornbread Tom!! Wish I had a bowl right now.. :thumb::-D

Nice job!

I've really been craving chili lately, but I've been trying to hold off until the weather cools off a bit more. Later this week they are predicting rain with a high in the mid-60s, so that might just be close enough. Good excuse to break out the new enameled cast-iron dutch oven I picked up a couple of months ago.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Back