Butt went Bad

jawpaul

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Wondering if this is typical or not.

Picked up a cyro'd butt pack last Friday from Sam's Club. Smoked one Sunday and sealed the other up real good in a ziploc and put it in the back of the fridge. I was going to rub it down tonight to smoke in the morning and I open the fridge and I can smell it. I had just checked it the day before and it smelled and looked fine.

The cyro had a date of 9/07/2010 so I thought it would be fine for a week in a good cold fridge, as I didn't want to deal with freezing and thawing it out.

Well I tossed it in the freezer tonight to kill the smell for now and I will be visiting sam's club in the morning.

Was really looking forward to smoking it as the other was farking deeelicious

Last edited:
After opened, I think a week in the fridge is quite a long time....but I am certainly no expert.

raw meat open in the fridge, i'd say 72 hours is a best-case scenarip

Gotta agree with the consensus here. I think you pushed your luck leaving it in the fridge that long.

Well I had it ziplocced up tight, I wouldn't normally do it that long but I figured with that long of date on the cyro it would be alright.

I'm learning I reckon, easy way or the hard way.

Well I had it ziplocced up tight, I wouldn't normally do it that long but I figured with that long of date on the cyro it would be alright.

I'm learning I reckon, easy way or the hard way.

Once you open it, the cryo date means nothing.

I never have meat in the fridge more than three days. If it was opened, just one. But why would you only smoke one butt? There wouldn't be any left by the time you finished pulling it.

Back