120 Gal Tank build thread...

Be careful about starting a fire inside the smoke chamber, Phrasty. It would be a shame if it got too hot and warped your shelf slides.

Was starting to wonder what happened to you Norco...

Thanks for the tip Countyliner. I'll def be careful of that. Don't think Im gonna build a huge fire in there... just one that will gradually get her hot enuf.

Cheers

Did not get to burn out today... but thats ok I finished up the rest of the details so she's now ready to burn! I can't wait, I'm so lighting her up tomorrow. Gonna be tricky to burn/grind/paint within a short time frame... The rain storms are still wreaking havoc on the build progress. Anyways, as I said I got on the rest of the details today. Got the handles in place and made them out of spanish elm (a very hard dense wood). I fabbed & installed the door stops as well as finished (for the most part) the rest of the grinding and smoothing up!

It's been 3 weeks to the day since I started this project, and I'm feeling pretty proud of the fact that its almost done. Of course I had some help.. well really just one person but he's helped me almost every time I've put the grinding wheel to metal. So I definitely owe him for that :becky:. But I really am looking forward to getting some food on this beast. Hoping this rig will help me expand my food business. Cooking is really my passion and I was once told that when your vacation is your vocation you'll always be a happy man. Ok enuf of the senseless ramblings :doh: Here are the pics of todays work...:thumb: Thanks for looking everyone! :becky::becky:

Cheers!

Attachments

• screen-capture-386.jpg
    screen-capture-386.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,304
  • screen-capture-388.jpg
    screen-capture-388.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 1,303
  • screen-capture-387.jpg
    screen-capture-387.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,302
  • screen-capture-389.jpg
    screen-capture-389.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,302
  • screen-capture-390.jpg
    screen-capture-390.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,306
Last edited:
Nice build. It has been a great read. Make sure the doors can't catch a gust of wind and take your head off. Watch for warping your rails and burning your handles when burning out your tank. It will have to be a hell of a fire to burn the paint off a tank 3/16" thick.

Good luck. Looks great.

Thanks guys! I do kinda owe it to the brethren! I have learnt a whole lot here, and this project has definitely come together smoother cuz of the site. By just having a place to post my progress, reflect on it and use this thread as a planning accessory is very helpful! Also having a great set of people saying they like what I'm doing is very encouraging as well! So Thank you guys! I don't want to sound all "kiss-ass" but on a different level... Respect due!

We are definitely on track time-wise! About to head outside and do some touch up work on it soon, but hopefully she will be all done by the end of this week... providing the grinding off of the paint goes smoothly. Want to do a big burn out either tonight or tomorrow. Will definitely post up some shots of that. Question: For the burn out do I put the fire on the Firebox or the smoke chamber? I'm thinking the SC and it will get the temps hotter... and hotter is better for the burn out (off) correct?

Once again, Thanks guys! :thumb:
Cheers!

Hey Phrasty.... Looking superb! About the burn out, I agree that you will get better/higher temps by burning in the smoke chamber. Thats what I did. Twice! Sorry for the size of the pic.

14266_1206830943959_1624232998_5132.jpg

Hi, my name is Phrasty and I like FIRE!!! burn baby burn.

Lit the beast yesterday... Started the burn in the FB just to get a feel of how the temps would run and she ran amazing... from a steady 225 to a blazing 400+ :becky::thumb::becky::thumb: Once my mind was eased on her performance we moved on to the actual burn out! :mad2: we had a mean farkin fire in her. Got off a lot of the paint as well so I'd say it was a successful burn for sure. Then we moved the fire back to the FB to finish the seasoning with a spray bottle of oil. I think we lit up the FB at 5:30ish and I went to bed at 3 with the FB going and she was at a steady 250. I'm very pleased guys. :clap2::thumb: Poor thing looks like she's been thru a war zone and a half. Gonna try make her pretty again today. So we'll see how far I get. Almost there guys!!! :whoo:

Cheers!

Attachments

• screen-capture-401.jpg
    screen-capture-401.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,256
  • screen-capture-405.jpg
    screen-capture-405.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,254
  • screen-capture-406.jpg
    screen-capture-406.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,252
  • screen-capture-407.jpg
    screen-capture-407.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,252
  • screen-capture-397.jpg
    screen-capture-397.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,255
  • screen-capture-396.jpg
    screen-capture-396.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,254
  • screen-capture-394.jpg
    screen-capture-394.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,255
  • screen-capture-392.jpg
    screen-capture-392.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,257
  • screen-capture-393.jpg
    screen-capture-393.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,259
  • screen-capture-400.jpg
    screen-capture-400.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,269
  • screen-capture-411.jpg
    screen-capture-411.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,265
do you need a counterweight for the door?
I really don't know what I'm talking about, I jus seen them on other big $#& cookers!

Can you just git her done and cook? :p The suspense is killing me!! Just kidding!

Hell leave it like it is, no need for paint. You could start a new trend UOS (Ugly Offset Smoker). Outstanding build, love how you notched the tank for the firebox.

Ugly baby grow up pretty fi true!!!

What a long day!!! :faint: So it turns out the burn out did NOT ease up most of the paint... only the outer 3 layers :shocked:. We spent all day grinding on this thing... finally got it down to metal and to a point I was happy with. The way I saw it was whatever didnt not come off with the burn last night WASN'T COMING OFF!!! :shock: So anyways... ladies and farkers... here we have it... The finale. All painted up!!! All I need to do now is get some 3" dial thermometers and put on another coat of paint in a couple days. I made a fire in the firebox to give the paint a little bake about 2 hours after application. Once the fire settled off at 300 I figured there no use making all this coal and almond go to waste so I threw on a chicken (seasoned with my rib rub... came out a little sweet, but it was easy and was cooked perfectly.) I'm a happy camper guys! She's come a long way! :thumb::becky::thumb::becky::thumb::becky:

This was all in all a really fun build, and in the end I have something thats priceless to me... something thats totally mine. It's a pretty cool feeling! :becky:

And on to the pics:

Cheers

Attachments

• screen-capture-415.jpg
    screen-capture-415.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,228
  • screen-capture-413.jpg
    screen-capture-413.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 1,228
  • screen-capture-414.jpg
    screen-capture-414.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,228
  • screen-capture-417.jpg
    screen-capture-417.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1,229
  • screen-capture-412.jpg
    screen-capture-412.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,239
  • screen-capture-416.jpg
    screen-capture-416.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,224
do you need a counterweight for the door?
I really don't know what I'm talking about, I jus seen them on other big $#& cookers!

Can you just git her done and cook? :p The suspense is killing me!! Just kidding!

:heh: The door is manageable.. no counterweight.

Just so you know... I seasoned up the chicken as I read your post earlier :thumb::thumb: Good idea!!

Cheers

Awesome! I had planned on a 250 gallon build, but after seeing yours I think a 120 gallon would serve my purpose.

Back