Brisket for 50

worthsmokin

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I was asked to smoke some brisket for a wedding reception. In the past I have charged $12 per pound cooked for brisket on roadside vending and when its gone its gone.

For the reception I need to make sure everyone gets fed. I am going to cook 8-10lb flats, (that is the size I usually get). They yeild approx half correct? So with that I would need to cook 50lbs brisket so everyone would get 1/4lb? Or with sliced brisket assuming everyone wont eat sammies do you prepare more brisket since they won't be eating bread?

I am also providing beans and potato salad.

Thanks,

Tyler

I was asked to smoke some brisket for a wedding reception. In the past I have charged $12 per pound cooked for brisket on roadside vending and when its gone its gone.

For the reception I need to make sure everyone gets fed. I am going to cook 8-10lb flats, (that is the size I usually get). They yeild approx half correct? So with that I would need to cook 50lbs brisket so everyone would get 1/4lb? Or with sliced brisket assuming everyone wont eat sammies do you prepare more brisket since they won't be eating bread?

I am also providing beans and potato salad.

Thanks,

Tyler

Seems like an awful lot of meat! You say 50 people, so if you're figuring 1/4 lb each, you'd need 12.5 lbs. cooked product(50 x 1/4 lb). Even if you allow a generous 1/3 lb per person, you still shouldn't need more than 17 lbs cooked, 34 or so lbs. raw.

Assuming 50% loss (a bit high, I think) 50 lbs of raw brisket would yield 25 of cooked, enough for 100 1/4 lb servings, or 75 1/3rd lb servings. Guess you could add the extra to the beans??? Guess it's better to have too much rather than not enough, but could cost more than you want to spend

I figure flats yield about 75%. Packers are at about 50-60% pre-trim.

are you shredding it or slicing? and if your shreding you can yield up to 70 to 80 % with my new supper pork and brisket shredder

I'll give my $.02 a 1/4 - 1/3 pound is good with mixed guests (Like not a football team or something) Small Buns if the folks are making there own and they are not paying for it. I would rather have someone eat 2 then and others eat 1 than a bunch of people wasting it (I think whoever is paying would agree).

I figure 50% yeild for the parties that I've had and it seems to work with some left overs.

I agree 1/3 of a pound and set up your line with the sides first and the most expensive product at the end. That way their plate is full and they wont take as much. Of course this is if it is self serve.

Back