View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

Hi All,

Folks will be coming in throughout the 4 hour period. This is for a company picnic and they have events, etc throughout the day and the folks will be coming through during that time.

We can get on-site 24 hours in advance. I am pushing the pulled pork option just due to the issues with tri-tip. I want to serve a quality product and keeping tri-tip fresh and not dry is tough (for me)

I have looked at the rental equipment needs and additional labor too.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post
My first question would be: Are 2000 people going to hit you all at once and you have 4 hours to get it done? or are you getting people brought to the line 500 per hour for 4 hours?

500 people per hour is 8 1/3 people per minute. 8 1/3 persons per minute is a tough pace---and for four hours it is dificult to keep the food flowing. This job would require at least 15 serving lines to keep that pace. Cooking the meat does not seem like a problem to me, slicing the tri tip is a challenge. A person slicing tri-tip by hand does not usually have 4 hours of endurance--when slicers get tired they start cutting thicker and thicker slices---it is human nature.

$11.50 per plate may seem like a good price if you just price the cost of the groceries---and the larger the job is---the more the customer wants a lower price. However setting up for a job of this size is going to require extreme labor costs.
Cooking help, slicing help, runners to replenish serving tables help, and server help.

If this job has 2000 people wanting to get fed all at once it can quickly become a nightmare.

I would sit and study all logistics, determine what equipment you would need to rent to supplement what you already have, and figure how many employees that it would take.

The "Santa Maria Elks Club" in Santa Maria, CA does dinners like this very often with just tri-tip and no chicken. I would try to contact someone there. If you were closer I would come help.
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote