BBQ @ the Beach State Championship - Raystown, PA Sept. 17-19th"

Hi Brian,

Just wanted to let you know that we had to make a choice if we were going to cook New Holland or BBQ @ The Beach in Raystown. We passed on New Holland, and will be in your field this year. Very much looking forward to it!

That is great news! Ed Stoddard at the visitors center should be posting our apps very soon. Our drafts are ready to load on the site as far as I know. I'll call ed tonight to make sure. I'm excited! Did I mention I'm making a mini reverse flow for the gc?

APP'S ARE READY!

Competitor apps are ready to be downloaded and mailed in!
We finally have our contest page working, and will be adding more info later.

http://raystown.org/barbeque

We are having a sanctioned KCBS event, we are looking for people who would be interested in giving a 30-45 min BBQ related class (im thinking anything from how to build a UDS to recipe how-to's) If you have a rub, tee shirts or whatever, feel free to sell them also. We will also be hosting a non-sanctioned grilling event for everyone (competitors and the public!)

The non-sanctioned grilling comp will be open garnish, open to any type of grill, and open to anyone who wants to participate! The events will be -

• Hamburger
  • Pizza
  • Chef’s Choice
We are trying to get at least the hamburger supplied (1lb per team) but that will be announced later. Our judges will be local celebrities and major sponsors.

We are continuing to work on getting a proclamation signed so I will continue to update as we get word.

I am providing all the trophies and the GC is going to win a fully functional mini reverse flow specially designed for this competition! (and you better friggin' use it and not just set it on the mantle!!) lol.

Hurry and get your app's in as we are having 20 teams and making a definite cut off of 30. (we have approval for 30 teams max from the rangers for the first year)

I am continuing to work to get ice donated, we will have ample power, water, and we have a gray water dumping station on one side of "BBQ Town"

I'm looking forward to this BIG TIME!! I'm also working on making a special trophy for best decorated site so start stocking up now! (it's gotta be BBQ or team schwag related!)

it includes the KCBS and the grilling event with possibly hamburger included. like i posted earlier, we are trying to get ice sponsored.

well that fee will keep the local new crowd at bay. Free ice wouldn't be the clincher for me. Now meat on the other hand....I mean, its local for me and I'd like to be there.

What if one doesn't "grill"....or wont. Four meats keep me busy enough.

I'm not being critical....well maybe a little, my fear is other comp organizers (I sure hope you dont see this Eric) will see that entry and then next, guess what? I guess thats what its coming to....it will price the small guy out. I just hope you have a sucessful comp and bring a real bbq experiance to Huntingdon Co.

Hey Sal.......you wanna go halves with me? we could make up some wacky name, like "where the heck is my soap stone":-D, n/m I'll tell ya later

i understand completely your concern. We had to make the cost fit the budget as well as keep it reasonable. I am donating most of the trophies and the event will buy a few from me but probably not even as much as the mini costs normally on my site. we are trying to make this a huge and fun event from bringing in live bands and family fun games and entertainment to advertising and renting the grounds and taking care of the cleanup and such.

i am not making a dime for my involvement but I am doing this for my love of the area and for BBQ. I want to bring the teams here to show off my area and I want the people in the area to get a taste of what a bbq competition is. I caught the bug and want to share the fun with everyone! Ive never organized a single thing in my life but I feel honored to be doing this thing and that makes it all worth it.

I'm asking the lovely's that one. I don't know where I need to make them to and when ribbons will suffice. My plan so far is to make 1-3rd of each of the 4 classes and then the GC mini reverse flow and a fullsize 22" weber pro-series to the RGC.

This is so far only the plan. The only thing set in stone is that I am building a mini reverse flow for the GC.

I am also going to build a special trophy for the most decorated site. I will be picking this one out so do your best!
I'll let you know what I will be looking for - either a dedicated BBQ theme or the best to go with your given bbq team name. For you sal, id expect to see gnomes galore or a gnome operating your pits. lol.. be creative! It will be worth it!

Well now I'm going to have to give this some serious thought! :wink:

Let me check my calendar.

I was thinking of your awesome display at sayville when I thought of doing this. I loved how it added to the entire feel of the comp and made it fun for everyone who participated. I really hope to get 100% participation in the decorating. I will be doing it also as I will have my RV on site (self-proclaimed "Mayor of BBQ Town")

If you were to win the GC for this event - would you rather have a lighter weight mini to display as a trophy or a heavier weight mini to use? This decision will effect the size and quality of the other awards.

If you were to win the GC for this event - would you rather have a lighter weight mini to display as a trophy or a heavier weight mini to use? This decision will effect the size and quality of the other awards.

not that I have a shot at winning but if I had an award like that I would never use it, so the lighter would be fine.

well one vote for each. lol. see I have been learning about the teams just wanting to display their trophies even when they are something like a cutting board and a grill grate.. lol.

not that I have a shot at winning either, but ..........I would expect the real deal:-D, although I'd probably never use it.........its just the principle of being able to say that I can.

I guess I should explain a little better. I would be building this the same way as the thicker models. Just with thinner steel. A lighter weight model would be in the neighborhood of 20 lbs. The heavier weight being 45-50lbs.

The lighter weight model would still function just as the heavier would except being less about being a heavy machine and being more about a working trophy you can actually hold over your head and say "GC BABY!" it wouldn't tear your mantle off if you happened to put it on the mantle and it would still Q.

it includes the KCBS and the grilling event with possibly hamburger included.

What is the schedule for the weekend? Is the grilling contest going to be on Friday evening and KCBS on Saturday? Or will they both be on the same day? Is there an price option if a team only wanted to do KCBS? I was hoping to attend and cook KCBS, but $300 is a little steep IMO, especially if I won't be doing the grilling contest.

The schedule should be posted soon on the site. Tentatively Friday will be the setup day, Saturday the grilling day, Sunday the KCBS day. Bands will play saturday and sunday. Hoping to have classes for the public all weekend.

Hope that helps.

Back